Welcome, Please login or register
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Drum Live! Drummers Community - Drum Solo Artist

BOOKMARK

Groups >> New Drummers Corner >> Forum >> Easy Covers to Start With

Viewing 1 - 5 out of 5 posts

POSTED BY: Johnathan on Dec 11, 2008
Easy Covers to Start With

Here you can post songs that you believe are good for beginners to attempt as a play along after practice. 

Let us know why you think the songs are easy, tell us about the fills, the beats, the cymbal work etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Music Calms the Tormented Beast

POSTED BY: Johnathan on Dec 16, 2008
AC/DC

AC/DC is very easy to play, basic beats and fills.  Once you get your rudiments down, get the tab and listen to an AC/DC tune, read the tab along with the song and then sit behind your kit and attempt the song first with no music, just the tab; then go and play with the actual music/song.

If you do not read drum notation you can do as I have and that is listen to the song a few times, then play along with it.  I will say, reading notation would give you better control and cut aticipation of cymbals and fills down a great deal.  Then again, there are a great deal of famous drummers out there who never read a lick of music.

POSTED BY: PASHA on Dec 17, 2008
AC/DC

Well I guess if you are going this route, than most of the rock/metal will do, just stay away from "Progressive metal" where there are lots of time changes all over the place...

I would recommend also to stay away from anything trash/death/black/speed/power/ metal too, cause those styles can really get challenging to beginner drummers...

Simple rock in 4/4 will do...

I mean you can take anything from Beatles (most any album) all the way to Metallica (1991) - Depending on your personal taste...

Cheers

POSTED BY: Tomm on Jan 21, 2009
Practice

I have been a beginner a few times due to the lack of opportunity, or equipment, or lifestyle, or vocational necessities.  Every time I would re-start my musical career it would be at a different level of ability but always at a level that I knew before hand that I could accomplish quickly, so I could move on toward my intended goals.

In the beginning, 1963, I listened to a lot of different types and syles of music.  I knew then, that to start I would have to stick to what I already understood about playing drums.  I had a very talented friend, the same age, that helped me by letting me use his kit, after I watched him and his band practice in his, very tolerant, parents' basement.

I started with three chord progression, 4/4 time tunes, over head phones.  I used these because I already knew the tunes by heart and began putting fills in where there were none in the recording.  I now refere to that as finding my personal prose.  I still do this to this day, with my, very tolerant, wife listening upstairs now, and I still get good results.  But nowadays I play with recordings of Dave Matthews, Chic Korea, Dave Weckl, Chicago, Jethro Tull, Kenny Loggins, Aquarium Rescue Unit...etc.  The results are still good, and I am still having a blast, as I now get ready to kick off another adventure

#2of 4 generations

POSTED BY: Johnathan on Jan 21, 2009

Tomm,

Welcome and your post was great.  The groups you mentioned are all good to play along too.  You have had an interesting journey indeed.

Jul 25, 2014

*** Drummers Community - DrumSoloArtist.com ***
Pasha
Drum Solo Artist
Made by Drummers for Drummers [ Site Directory ] [ XML URL List ] --© 2007-- www.drumsoloartist.com