Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Have you ever... - Drum Solo Artist

December 16, 2018, 11:01:34 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Have you ever...  (Read 11377 times)
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »

I'm sitting here satisfied with what I just accomplished.  I am right handed, and while helping Mrs. Tomm with some yard work, I sliced the top of my second nuckle of my index finger into...a convertible.  I hate stitches so I used tape and a splint (Home made) to aid in the healing.  It's been ten days, and with the splint and tight bandage still in place I decided to give it a shot behind my kit.  It took a little concentration and stick repositioning, in the left hand, and just like I hoped...it was all good.  I played with a cast on my right hand when I was a kid, my pinky finger was immobile then, and some how I got it to work.

HAVE YOU EVER?  Have you ever HAD to perform under restrictive conditions?  Care to share the experience?
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »

Yes Tomm, in fact in the last 15 years, I actually lost the nerve in my left arm from the elbow down. That my friend scared the hell out of me because I had NO use of my hand and life let alone drumming became a blur. But, being stubborn ( and out of work ) I kept trying to play with my sticks and as I kept going, it took a while, slowly I got the feeling back and will say to this day that drumming helped heal my nerve damage quicker. I to this day have some issues, but not like it did. It's about 98% better but can still get tingling through my left pinky.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »

Over the years I have performed with sprained ankles and wrists.  I can remember how  that forced me simplify my drum parts.

However, I discovered those were minor bumps in my road. I had a serious accident that required shoulder surgeries in October and November 2009. There was a lot of physical therapy and painful personal exercise to gradually regain the range of motion in my right arm. It has been quite a personal challenge.

Even with my right arm immobilized I began doing strokes on a snare drum the first day I was released from the hospital.  I wanted to keep my wrist muscles toned. I played many times a day and gradually re-stretched my tendons.

The doctors agreed that drumming helped in my recovery.  Basically, extra activity from drumming helped to reduce the recovery time from their estimated six months to three months. However, it was definitely a "no pain, no gain" endeavor.  It took lots of wall push-ups to strengthen the muscle tone I lost in my right arm.  Because my left arm was "overworked" I also developed a lot more independence with it....both drumming-wise and with other tasks.

Now one of the consequences to the injuries has been a permanent change in my drum kit set-up.  Specifically, I had to position my ride cymbal lower and closer.  The weight of my right arm “lifted” for long periods of time just causes control problems. 

I’ve written about this already, but I changed my large venue kit to be two rack toms on a stand (touching my snare drum) and two floor toms.  I had previously used three rack toms and one floor tom for years and years.  I just couldn’t make that work for me anymore because of the ride cymbal position.

Life certainly deals us all changes and surprises.  Be tough.  Adapt and persevere.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »

Vista, you and Ken definately worked through some tough adverse conditions, and really proved your tenacity and desire to be drummers.  I had another bump in the road that I overcame, but it was nothing either of you endured.
I totally disengaged my right shoulder when I was 24, fortunately (?) I wasn't playing at the time so I didn't miss out drum-wise at that time.  However, I did tear my right rotator cuff about four years ago and that injury caused a lot of pain when playing, and it took over two years to get my strength and stamina back to normal.
janice595

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:42:23 PM »

It bummed me out so bad when I had to have my carpel tunnel surgery and couldn't play the drums for 2 months.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »

Yeah, electing to have surgery is always a tough decision when it has such an effect on your life during the recovery process. 
I chose not to have the rotator cuff repaired surgically because the Doc told me it would take about 5 months before I could go back to work.  Contrary to popular belief, one can recover from that injury without getting all cut up, all it takes is a high tolerence for pain.  Not a process for everbody.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:22 AM »

It has been almost a year since my shoulder surguries.  I have finally regained ful use of my right arm and a full range of motion. So it feels great to get back to my preferred set-up with three rack toms and the old placement of my ride cymbal.  It finally feels like home again. I'm  Cheesy happy.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »

Really good news, Ken, a year is a long time to wonder how everything is going to turn out.  I'm happy for you too. Grin Cool
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »

I am trying to work out a time table for some new major surgery right now.  Fortunately, playing drums will begin to work into my rehab after a fer weeks...I hope.  Having both of my knees rebuilt.  Just wont be able to carry any equipment  for a few months.  Good thing I have no bookings set for drumming.  Just working on some guitar blues with my big brother for a while.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »

Hey Tomm,

I send you wishes for a complete recovery.  You already know the rehab will be a bear, but that's just the reality of regaining your strength and flexibility.

You will get through it and you will be better off for having the surgeries.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: