Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

List of all Drum Setups? Is it needed?? - Drum Solo Artist

November 17, 2017, 12:25:35 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: List of all Drum Setups? Is it needed??  (Read 16336 times)
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:16:25 AM »

I am wondering if such a list is needed, I mean we can access every users drum setup directly from that users profile. But still we dont have a page that lists all the drum setups that we have here on Drum Solo Artist. - Do you think it would be cool to have such a list or is it a completely useless idea?

Thanks.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »

You have a lot of users who have not supplied you with drum setup information in their profile.  Of the users that have given setup information, some have only text.  Some have illustrations.  Some have text and illustrations. So there is no standard format right now.

If there was a link to a program, like DF Kit Constructor, perhaps more folks would be able to illustrate their drum setup in a common format. 

As for a list of users who have already supplied some sort of drum setup information in their users profile, that seems to be a programming/cost decision.  Maybe the cost of doing that would be better used for some other site enhancement.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »

If there was a link to a program, like DF Kit Constructor, perhaps more folks would be able to illustrate their drum setup in a common format.

Ok so if I understand correctly we need that first...

Maybe the cost of doing that [drum setups list] would be better used for some other site enhancement.
Interesting ... - Like what?
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »

Ok so if I understand correctly we need that first...
Interesting ... - Like what?

PASHA, I had nothing specific in mind.  It was along the lines of thinking that if it involved more cash outlay from you, that you might have some other future DSA needs pending.  Maybe that assumption is way off base.

As far as your short-range business plan, I have no knowledge of the capacity or horsepower it takes to keep the ever growing DSA files and links stored and working.  I guess I assumed that the cost of maintaining a large and growing website is always increasing.

BACK to the ORIGINAL TOPIC of this thread; perhaps a good software program to create drumset illustrations would stimulate a lot of interest, on-line activity, dialog about the setups, etc....... and therefore increase overall DSA site traffic.   It seems to me that it could be a terrific DSA site magnet.....no other sites have a good program to do that. 

Well, just some thoughts about how a drumset illustration tool might make the DSA even MORE unique.
No matter what, I appreciate what you and this site do; and have done already for drummers of all skill levels.

I send some well-deserved kudos to you my friend!  Let's see if other readers have any ideas.

KEN SANDERS

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 12:08:40 AM »

Ok, lets talk about it!

What in your opinion would be the ULTIMATE drum setup creation application? - How should it look? (details?) Any ideas how exactly should it function (from user point of course  Lips sealed) Any particular wishes? How would you envision something like that?

I mean I am a little lost in the theory... - obviously, we have to have some text field where user will be able to just type what ever he/she wants, and some sort of application that will let user to actually create and store the pic... But I just dont understand how to make it user-friendly... Huh - I mean it has to be intuitive and simple for the user....
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »

I don't have an answer, as far as user friendly requirements.  I'll send you a PM with some things I've seen on the net.

Maybe some other readers will have some good ideas to share.

Smiley

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Reno
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Reno

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »

It would be slick to have a script to generate layouts for the members, but I don't know of anything that would work "out of the box" so custom scripting would be required. Big job, not one for the amateur or weekend coder since it would require SQL tables for data storage and layer/positioning control for display - which in turn raises the issue of cross-browser rendering.
Personally I would love to tackle the project, but currently my spare time is non-existent.

Any student programmers out there feel up to the challenge?
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »

Farther discussion of this thread has been moved to the Drum Setup Application Development Thread
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: