Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Stick Spinning - Drum Solo Artist

April 13, 2021, 02:35:55 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Stick Spinning  (Read 7539 times)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:52:42 AM »

Yea, the thing that everyone thinks all drummers can do as soon as they get the title "drummer".

I've always wanted to be able to do it (it looks good/fun, and probably makes an awsome party trick), but ive never been told how. My drum teacher is very against the idea of drumming for show, aswell as for sound.

But, coming up in april, John Blackwell is doing a drum clinic in my town, and that sorta inspired me to acctully try hard to get to some sort of standered of spinning sticks.

As always, the quick google search spat out this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A978979

A guide to pen/drumstick spinning. It doesnt have any diagrams, but does pretty good at explaining how to do it. Im still trying to get past the Drumstick Roll, but i think im getting better. Even though it gets very anoying when it goes wrong.

I dont have much advice for other people trying it. I keep swapping between a biro and a 5A Vic Firth, because im not sure which is better. The Drum stick has more weight, and so has more momentum, but it is so thick, and is more difficult to wrap your fingers round than the biro. Im considering going upstairs to get a 7A. It might be better. I'll see if i can get a better guide with other tips and maybe diagrams.

Good luck for anyone that wants to try it.

EDIT: Pens (and a drumstick) spinning video (streamed video) http://superhandz.com/images/penspinfini.wmv

EDIT #2: Yea, 7A's are good sticks to do it with....im acctully getting much better!....wooo!
mooooo

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »

Ah, the ole' stick spinning.  Well, I cant exactly make the best diagram for you, but I can give you a basic idea of how it works:

First, know that this is the easy way.  You will be spinning the stick around your middle finger.

1)  Start by holding the stick between your middle 3 fingers; the middle on the bottom of it and the ones on either side on top.  

1   3            -ring and index fingers
                       ------------------    -stick
                                  2              -middle finger

*make sure you start in the middle of the stick.  It's much easier with equal weight on both sides.

2)  Move your ring finger down and index finger up.  The index finger should release the stick.  Now your ring and middle fingers should be level and your index finger slightly higher.

|
                    |  3           -index finger
                  1|2             -ring+middle fingers
                    |
                    |

3)  Bring your ring finger counterclockwise around your middle finger and pull your index finger back, then down, then out.  now your fingers should be in the reverse position of step one.

--------------
             1    3

4)  Ring finger goes down and lets go, index finger goes up.  Opposite of step 2.

|
             |  
           2|3
          1 |
             |

5)  Index finger goes counter-clockwise up, ring finger pulls back, goes up, goes out on top of the pencil.  You should end up back in position 1.

1   3
      --------------

Repeat the steps, and you've got a spin.  If you do it right, you should eventually be moving your fingers up the stick, and you will run out of room to spin.  You can avoid this by making the stick form a figure 8 around you middle and ring fingers, but I'll save that for another lesson.  :-)

Good luck!

PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 04:20:39 AM »

Great Post Guys !!!

I submitted it to the Drum Techniques section of the Drum Wiki, so that the article could be found simply by searching the site, hope you don't mind!?

Stick Spinning

Also I really hope someone could make pics for the above method and add them to the article! Wink

Thanks in advance.
Pasha
MRSMASH

ba-dom-dom tsshhhh

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

I have a Video and book on order:
Its called spinology, it looks promising, I'll let you know if its any good once i have it

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/view?&h=102&w=125&type=msmedia&rurl=www.drstix.com%2Fspinology.html&vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drstix.com%2Fhere.wmv&back=p%3Ddrumstick%2Bspinning%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-web-t%26cv%3Dg%26x%3Dwrt&turl=re2.mm-so.yimg.com%2Fima

"If you understand the brick, You understand the wall"-Terry bozzio
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 07:12:10 PM »

Ok this is how i do it (I fell its easier and u drop ur sticks so much less)

1)hold your drum sick between your second and third finger.

2)Get the stick spinning with your third finger by pushing the stickdown with your finger tip.

3)Then turn your second finger so that the bottom of the stick curls over back up to the tip of the tird finger.

Each end of the stick should be making a circle.

When u get fast at it it looks like your doing the standard version.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: