Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

The STANDARD sound - Drum Solo Artist

November 17, 2018, 05:30:56 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: The STANDARD sound  (Read 5522 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:17:18 AM »

There has been some discussion in other posts on the DSA Forum about the expections of today's recording industry for a STANDARD DRUM SOUND.  I am not debating the reality or rationale of this situation.  As far as the STANDARD SOUND being easier for engineers and producers to deal with....I'm sure that is true.  As far as it being cheaper..... I'm sure it is. 

I will, however, say that I am certainly glad that John Bontham, Keith Moon, Billy Cobham, Elvin Jones, Mitch Mitchell, and Bill Stewart (just to name a few...because there are certainly others too) were not restricted by today's recording industry "rules". 

JUST MY OPINION
Within the realm of original musical artistry......the "me too drum sounds" don't rock my world at all.  I realize that is just one drummer's opinion out of a multitude of others.  I didn't say that the companies don't make money selling those "sounds like everybody else" recordings.  I'm simply saying that those "sounds like everybody else" recordings just don't impress me from a musical standpoint.

There are those well known hamburgers that have sold billions and billions.  They are popular and they sell.  However, I'll pass them up for a nice prime rib any time.  Some things are predictable and often mundane.  Some things are intriging and often very unique.

JUST MY SPIN ON TODAY'S OPPORTUNITIES
If you make your living producing standard drum sounds....then I certainly understand that you gotta do what you gotta do to make a living.  If you also aspire to be an artist with your own recognizable trademark sound; then I'd encourage you to break the rules when you have an opportunity to do so.  Cool

Does anyone else find it interesting that there is no standard guitar sound or keyboard sound?  Guess those groundbreaking technology utilizing recording engineers absolutely hate dealing with that variable.  Shouldn't everyone sound exactly like Eddie Van Halen?  Cheesy

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:26 PM »

Ditto!

Count me in on that "just one drummer's opinion"! - So now its NOT just One, but TWO drummers opinions Wink!

And for some reason I believe lots of others will join you... US on that one!!!
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

I agree!

Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »

In my experiences, as I stated...I believe, in the "double beater" thread...most "musicians" and recording techs are interested in featuring the "lead" roles on tunes.  Be it live or recorded.  I know this to be true, due to reactions to innovative percussion work I have produced.  "They" know that good drum licks and fills CAN steal the show in most venues, especially if the "leadies" aren't that impressive. 

Cool If the "lead musicians" are as rehearsed and exceptional as the drummer is in the production,  they really have nothing to worry about...the people will notice them too.  Wink
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:39:54 PM »

Tomm's comments are intriqing to me.  I can think of many great recordings where the  drums and the drummer sounded great.  I believe that is because they made quite an impression on me.

Now, I always try to "PLAY FOR THE SONG" when I perform.  So, I understand the concept of restraint from doing a fill that covers up the vocalist's emotional build-up, or that otherwise detracts from the effectiveness of the song's message. 

I'm not doing very well in trying to think of recordings where the the vocalist sounded better because the drummer had to sound like a drum loop.  I'm sure they are many examples, however, I am going blank trying to remember them.

One of the most sucessful recordings in history was "RUMORS" by Fleetwood Mac.  Mick Fleetwood played what each tune needed, but he was certainly not restricted to doing only something "normal" or sounding "standard".  Even with the simplicity of some of his drum parts, they enhanced the tune with just the right feel.

To me, THAT is exactly what a drummer should do when "playing for the song".

Had the producers used drum loops or the "standard sound" on "RUMORS" it would have been a tragic mistake.

I realize that drum loops are used on many Rap recordings.  Maybe that is to make the listener focus on the voice parts.  Is that a good example of Tomm's point?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »

I think Rap and Hip Hop are prime examples of what I'm referring to.  And if the hard core Rock and Rollers can forgive a modern Jazz enthusiast...Springsteen is another example.  The list can go on and on...don't get me started...lol.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »

Tomm,

Thanks for the examples of the point you made.

Now imagine Jimi Hendrix using standard guitar, bass, and drum sounds in a pop record "fast food" studio today!  LMAO about that thought.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: