Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

funny story - Drum Solo Artist

December 15, 2019, 03:25:03 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: funny story  (Read 7784 times)
makedrums

makedrums

View Forum Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »

So I just put an old cracked Sabian AAX dark crash on craigslist and sold it to a guy down the street from me. This cymbal was cracked pretty bad in a couple of spots, it had about 3 different 1 inch cracks from the edge. I asked the guy what he was gonna do with a cracked cymbal and he said.....

Well I'm sponsored by Sabian so I'll just ask my rep to put this cymbal on my list and then I'll send it in to get it replaced....

hah, makes me wish I had a cymbal deal...or any deal. I won't reveal this drummer's name or band since this could look bad for him, but his band has had a couple of big tunes...hopefully we can become better friends....maybe I'll try to crack more cymbals for him. hehe.

Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:41 PM »

I'd like to be sponsored by Pro Mark!  I break a lot more sticks than I do cymbals...

By the way, Bro, checked out your sight...that's some major crafting going on there.
Reno
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Reno

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »

a trick for prolonging the life of a cracked cymbal - drill a round hole at the end of the crack.. a fairly big one, say about 1/2 inch, then file the edges of the crack so they don't rub together (they make a horrible noise when they rub, like having worn out pilot bushings on the stand). The hole will stop the crack from getting longer and keep it from peeling, just try to keep the damaged part on the side away from you so the edge doesn't bend.  (note: only works on edge cracks, if the pilot hole cracks it's pretty much pooched.)
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »

A friend and fellow local drummer here takes edge cracked cymbals and turns them down to a smaller diameter.  This makes for some interesting sounds.  One that I have is a former Paiste 18" medium power crash, turned down to 12", and is what I call a high power/sustained ping splash.

I love this sport.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »

Okay, I got to the venue with my cymbals and the cartage company had left a Yamaha kit for the show.  However, there were no floor tom legs!   It's Sunday and no one is answering the cartage company phone. I took three 7A drum sticks and inserted them into the tom leg mounts.....turned it back up and played the show.

No legs....no problem.   Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »

LOL, Ken, fortunately you had the right sized sticks.
Improvisation is a wonderful thing

About a hundred years ago I put a group together, mostly made up of beginners such as I was then.  It seemed that no one else could sing, so I was to become a singing percussionist...oh, joy!  We had an amplifier (Silvertone) dedicated to the lead (and only) microphone.  Only had to share it with the rhythm guitar...after all it had two inputs.  It was a good plan, except for the fact that I had no boom stand for the mike, and a verticle stand was just too much in the way.  With probably my first improv decision (which probably launched my career as a "jack of all trades", I formed a mike holder out of a cloths hanger for around my neck.  Damn thing about it, I used it for two practices.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: