Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Your preferred hi-hat cymbals - Drum Solo Artist

July 18, 2019, 10:16:40 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Your preferred hi-hat cymbals  (Read 10016 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »

You have that unique sound in your mind when you think "hi-hats."

Is that sound crisp? Bright?  Dark?  Tight?  Washy?  Thick?  Thin?  Dry?  Soggy?  When played with the foot is the sound Chick?  Chunk?  Or Crunchy?  Or something else entirely?  Roll Eyes

One of the most important sound sources from our drum sets is certainly our hi-hat cymbals.  Some of us may have several hi-hat pairings that we  choose from use.  Others have one set of hi-hats that they prefer to use exclusively.  Some drummers may want something different than the hi-hats they are using right now.

One size does NOT fit all.  But there are no rights or wrongs only our own personal sound choices.

I believe most of us have a FAVORITE hi-hat pairing whether you use that set all the time or not. 

So, heres the question:  WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HI-HAT CYMBALS SET?

Im one of those drummers who does vary hi-hat choices according to the performance situation.  However, my preferred set is 13 Paiste Signature Dark Energy Series hi-hats.

Okay, what about you?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »

I love my Zildgian Projection Series hats and I have two sets: 13" & 14". I change according to set up rather than sound. Sometimes the 13's fit more compact into my kit. The 13's also sound tighter for some reason. Or is that more chick? Either way Ken, because of the way I play, it has to put up with some abuse.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »

"The 13's also sound tighter for some reason. Or is that more chick?"

MY RESPONSE
In my experience "tighter" is used to describe a more precise and articulate sound.  It is usually associated with the sound characterstics of a heavier top hi hat cymbal.   Cool

"Chick" in my experiences has referred to the sound of the hi hats when the top cymbal is pushed into the bottom cymbal and held there by pressing down the foot pedal.   Cool

ABUSE
I certainly agree that the hi hats log more stick hits that perhaps any other comonent of a drum set.  They have to be sturdy enough to handle the impact, power, and volume needs of the drummer.   I am glad you have some that fit your playing requirements.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »

Then Ken, it could be both!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:24:58 PM »

Cheesy 

Yes, it certainly could be both.

Thanks for sharing your preferred hi-hats set(s).  I'm sure they sound amazing with your band.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »

On my left I have my vintage 14" medium Zildjians and on my remote operated right side I have a set of 13" thin Agazarians and when using them in unison it adds a whole new dimension.  Adjusting the angle pitch screw can add new sounds to your hi hat work too.

I know you were curious about how my custom remote set up was working, Ken.  Kinda funny thing about that.  I engineered everything, that all went well.  I had about 80% of it fabricated and installed when my son Jason gifted me a complete Yamaha remote set up with the Agazarian cymbals.  I thought that was pretty cool, so I installed it and have been playing the heck out it.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »

Hey Tomm........very cool stuff about designing your own gear, but also nice of Jason to give you the remote set up.  Let us know how the Agazarians compare to your Zildjians.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »

hey Tomm,

How about an update on your custom rig and let's hear some more about the Agazarians. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »

I've got everything set where it works best.  I rewally like the Azarians addition of new sound as I am learning to work with the new concept.  I am all for innovations andexperimentation, and I'm really glad I looked into this as an additio9n to what II want to perform.
Magma1261

Magma1261

Magma12

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »

My favorite hi-hats are my Zildjian ZHT Mastersound 14". they have a nice "chick" and a oozing kinda sizzle when opened. i also like the Sabian X-Celorator 14" hats.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: