Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

I am constantly speeding up. PLEASE HELP - Drum Solo Artist

November 22, 2019, 02:49:33 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: I am constantly speeding up. PLEASE HELP  (Read 6899 times)
malaica

View Forum Profile
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »

My band mates told me I am constantly speeding up. This surprises me.

Iíve always studied with the metronome.   

I donít feel like I am speeding up.

How can I work on this ?

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »

I would recommend that you sit down at your kit and record some patterns that you play when performing with your band.  Analyze the recording and it will reveal anything that needs honing.

Often new drummers tend to rush drum fills and even certain patterns.  Those need to be practiced at different tempos, so you don't go into "memory mode" every time you play them. 

A click and a simple pocket recorder may be the most powerful problem-solvers a drummer can depend on for individual practice progress.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »

I agree 100%, I would only like to add that if you can stay away from a pocket recorder and actually go with a good digital or more reliable recording than a cheap unit, it would be more true to your accuracy.  I have been disappointed in even voice playback with  pocket units.

I also discovered that literally keeping time (counting measure to measure) helps immediately, and finally...questioning your mates' ability to not drag behind well kept time.
drummac

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »

I would suggest recording your band's sessions.  Listen carefully to the playback and see if it really is you speeding up the tempo.  I've worked with some guitar players that were the culprits.  As an added piece of insurance, attach a digital metronome to your set (where it can be seen by you and in easy reach) and lock yourself in time.  It's best to use a metronome that has an LED light that blinks (you will (probably want to silence the beeping). [EDIT: SUBJECTIVE PART REMOVED BY ADMIN]
pacrat87

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »

I have had Speed control problems speeding up on ver slow songs in particuler
I bought a Groove Guild ( meter that triggers off a drum) I use my snare to trigger.
some poeple call the beat buddy's. I have found it very usefull playing live when you start a song you check the speed you are playing and every so often you can check to see if you have changed.

google groove guild or drum perfect.
Randy
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: