Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Using Three Sticks for alternate sounds - Drum Solo Artist

November 21, 2019, 01:56:47 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Using Three Sticks for alternate sounds  (Read 7366 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »

In another thread there were some brief references to playing with four sticks.  I have performed some “Latin feel” numbers with the Jazz Alliance (Big Band here in the Nashville area) where I have used one stick on cowbell and cymbals and two sticks in my other hand….playing snare drum (snares off) and toms.

I hold the two sticks so that one hits closer to the edge of the drum head and the other hits closer to the center, thus producing two different tone characteristics. The two sticks also click together making a third sound.

My grip for holding the two sticks is like double mallet (i.e. marimba) playing except that, as mentioned above) I shorten the length of one of the sticks so I am not striking the drum head in just one area.

I’ve used this effect occasionally for several years, whenever I want to add that type of sound that Steve Gadd used of PAUL SIMON’S “Late in the Evening”. 

It’s not something that may interest everyone, but I did want to mention it to the DSA readers.

I do another similar thing sometimes; where I lightly lay the bead of one stick on the snare drum head near the edge and let the two sticks in the other hand catch it on the up stroke.  That causes the single stick to bounce slightly off of the drum head and simultaneously make a strong click on the up stroke.

I’d like to hear from other DSA readers who may have some weird things like that, they have found useful for certain tunes or passages.   

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

I used the three-stick thing last night on a Big Band number called "Blue Tango".  The bandleader came up to me afterward and asked "how in the world were you making all of those sounds on "Blue Tango"?

I told him that it was 66.6% of a Steve Gadd thing.   Grin

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »

Here is a clip where Steve Gadd explains the 4 stick technique and stroking for the song "Late in the Evening".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7W33sLJi78&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/I7W33sLJi78&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »

Great!! Smiley now I feel like an amateur!! Shocked
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »

Re:     Great!!  now I feel like an amateur!!

The man has been coming up with cool ideas for a very long time now!  Cool Wink

But seriously, didn't you believe his explanation of the technique and the sticking revealed how you can take an ethnic rythmn ...... and then apply to drum set voices to create an absolutely killer groove.

Got message from him and he was rehearsing with Eric Clapton for a new tour. The tour began in London on May 18th.  What a gig!

* Steve Gadd Eric Clapton.jpg (65.03 KB, 604x453 - viewed 769 times.)

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: