Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Top Ten Drum SOLOISTS of all time - Drum Solo Artist

August 16, 2018, 01:34:44 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 
Author Topic: Top Ten Drum SOLOISTS of all time  (Read 45711 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

I was thinking about all the many, many famous drummers who deserve recognition for their contributions to the drumming world.  For example, Hal Blaine and John Guerin recorded so many hits and major soundtracks during their careers.  All of us owe Papa Jo Jones for bringing the modern drum set into existence and for his pioneering use of the device called the hi hat. 

I want to focus this thread, however, on drum SOLOISTS.  I tried to compile my own personal top ten of all time…… and it wasn’t easy.  I have them shown in alphabetical order by their last name, because this was hard enough to limit it just ten DRUM SOLO artists.  Here’s my list:

•   Louie Bellson
•   John Bonham
•   Billy Cobham
•   Elvin Jones
•   Gene Krupa
•   Thomas Lang
•   Neil Peart
•   Buddy Rich
•   David Weckl
•   Tony Williams

Man, there are some OTHER really awesome drummers, who are known for their SOLO work as well.  So, as I’ve already mentioned, this was not easy to reduce to my personal top ten.  I’d like to hear from other readers about their top ten drum soloists.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

They weren't included in my list of the top ten drum soloists of all time..........but I also really enjoy listening to the drum solos performed by Stanton Moore, Bill Stewart, and Keith Carlock.

Back to the original intent of this thread

I completely understand that everyone is not "into" drum solos, including some drummers.  That's cool with me and there's no debate there. 

Many professional drummers spend most of their time today recording vocal-oriented pop/rock/country tunes and/or working with those style bands rather than doing much solo work.  Certainly if we were to analyze drummers' earnings in today's market, many of us would say that most of it comes from backing vocal artists with very little opportunity for solo performances.

Since, I do a lot of jazz and big band work, I am an exception to that stereo-type in my market area.  Basically, drum solos are much more prevalent in jazz and big band music.  Obviously John Bonham and Neil Peart are good examples of exceptions in their musical contributions.

However, since this is the Drum Solo Artist website, it's not "out of order" at all for me to start a thread to talk about our favorite drum soloists. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »

I like this thread Ken, even if other drummers yawn at this post. It is certainly a difficult process to get 10 in any order but I will certainly try.

Louis Belsom
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »

I hate when I do that, let me try it again.

Louie Belsom
Buddy Rich
Charly Antolini
Neil Peart
Benny Greb
Carmine Appice
Terry Bozio
Chick Webb
Dennis Chambers
Huub Janssen

Honorable mention for hand work: Tommy Aldridge & John Bonham

I hope I didn't miss the mark here Ken, alot of these guys do fantastic solos in there perspective entities.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »

Vista,

You've certainly posted a very impressive list of drum solo artists.  It's cool to see Charly Antolini and Huub Janssen on your top ten list too.   Smiley

As far as "others yawning" at the original post.  I'm okay with the negative attitude some drummers may have about drum solos.  Although, in my opinion, they may be missing out on some of the additional fun involved with being a drummer.

Some soloists like Dave Weckl amaze me with their blazing execution on complex patterns.  Others like Bill Stewart amaze me with their understated textures and colors.

So just to turn some of the "drum solos mean nothing" statements, I've heard visa-versa.....I can't recall hearing an outstanding drum soloist who couldn't ALSO lay down a cool groove or make a band absolutely smoke.   Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »

The Antolini's of the world excite my senses as a drummer and Huub just, just.......................I wish I had the time to obtain that sense of awareness of your instrument. His dynamics are awesome! I love rythymic dum solos and Greb is that guy. I LOVE his grooves Ken, again I wish I had the time.

Thank you Ken, I hope that others will share thier likes & dislikes.

P.S. Are we the only ones who know about Antolini & Janssen?  Huh
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 01:31:28 AM »

RE:  Antolini and Janssen

Their profiles are on the DSA list of drummers tab, so I would hope many folks have checked that out.

Even if American drummers can't find some of the European recordings, they CAN at least view some of their performances on youtube.com

Keep those vintage Ludwig Vistalites both busy and happy!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

Currently have the Vistas down for refurbishment, man there hard to keep unmarked! Thank god a friend of mine is an auto body guy that knows how to work on acrylic.
Reno
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Reno

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »

uh  hey stupid. We're drummers, we don't need hookers.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »

I agree Reno, so I've removed that post.  Now everyone will wonder what in the world these last two posts have to do with the original topic of the thread.

here's what happened.......a total dip wad jerk put some ads for hookers on this website thread.  It was immediately removed.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »

When I started this thread, I mentioned the top ten drum soloists that I enjoy listening to.  I guess I'm kind of surprised we haven't had more posts on that topic.  Maybe I'm just more into drum soloists than a lot of the other readers are.

Anyway I was just listening to the Dave Weckl CD "Live and Very Plugged in". I was really getting into how he adds those odd little bongo and cowbell stokes into his solos.  AND....I really liked the first part of "Cultural Concurrence" where he begins with lots of amazing brushes work.

He uses two bass drums.  One is a 22" and the other is an 18".  It's very obvious which one he is using during the course of performing the tunes.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »

Hey Vista,

RE:  Antolini and Janssen

Are there any of their recordings, in particular, that you think our readers (who aren't familiar with them) should start with?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-Q5E5vijoU&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/K-Q5E5vijoU&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

This is quality, vintage Janssen, swing baby swing !!
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »

"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cD_2FWsVz88&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cD_2FWsVz88&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

This is only a smidgen of what this man is capable of folks. For the beginner, this is who you are when you practice your rudiments. Don't forget your crossovers!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:13 PM »

I recommend that our readers listen to this through clip using some quality headphones.  It would be a crime to miss some of the tonal nuances otherwise.

This is superb drumming both driving the band and soloing.......performed absolutely live and without the overdub net. 

Thanks for sharing Vista!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »

Quite a bit of hard work went on there.  Good...hard...work.  Dude: Take a breath!
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

There are better solos than this by Dennis, but pay attention the speed this guy gets!

"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2sF8c6LTvfw&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2sF8c6LTvfw&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>
Furdrummer

Furdrummer

Furdrummer's profile

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 12:05:22 AM »

I'm surprised at the number of drummers who don't like drum solos also. The solo is great for drummers to express themselfs and not just be timekeepers. You would think more drummers would like to be featured in a song and play a great solo.

The reason I wanted to play the drums was because of those great solos I heard back in the 70's when the drum solo was a lot more popular in rock. I still enjoy listening to and playing solos. I understand where the drummers who don't like solos are coming from. The drum solo is just not as popular in rock music like it was when I started playing drums. I'm glad it still is in jazz and big band music.

Ken I'm surprised you put Buddy so far down on your list. I agree with your # 1 choice. Louie was a great soloist and my biggest influence. 
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »

Furdrummer,
Thanks for sharing your comments on this thread.  Good points, I might add.

RE: Ken I'm surprised you put Buddy so far down on your list. I agree with your # 1 choice. Louie was a great soloist and my biggest influence. 

HERE'S WHAT I ORIGINALLY WROTE rEGARDING THE ORDER OF THE NAMES.

"I tried to compile my own personal top ten of all time…… and it wasn’t easy.  I have them shown in alphabetical order by their last name, because this was hard enough to limit it to just ten DRUM SOLO artists. "

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »

Nice thread, super vids.  The speed in the last vid is super natural!!!  Smiley

vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 05:33:08 AM »

Another one that always get me drumivated!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRSvON87afM&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FRSvON87afM&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »

Nice!  Loved it!

Furdrummer

Furdrummer

Furdrummer's profile

View Forum Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »

Furdrummer,
Thanks for sharing your comments on this thread.  Good points, I might add.

RE: Ken I'm surprised you put Buddy so far down on your list. I agree with your # 1 choice. Louie was a great soloist and my biggest influence. 

HERE'S WHAT I ORIGINALLY WROTE rEGARDING THE ORDER OF THE NAMES.

"I tried to compile my own personal top ten of all time…… and it wasn’t easy.  I have them shown in alphabetical order by their last name, because this was hard enough to limit it just list ten DRUM SOLO artists. "

Oh now I see what you where doing. You did a great job with that list.
Little_Drummer_Boy

Little_Drummer_Boy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »

Hey guys. I'm a drummer that used to post a lot on this forum back in tha day, so I figured I'd share some of my all time drum heroes.

Jeff Hamilton
Peter Erskine
Albod Kalvaire (very obscure drummer, there's no really good footage of him on the web)
JJ Johnson (John Mayer)
Steve Jordan (John Mayer)
Yon Rico Scott (The Derek Trucks Band)
Jason "JT" Thomas (Roy Hargrove's RH Factor)
John Bonham
Keith Moon
Billy Martin (John Scofield)

Heres a few video links to the first few drummers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YdvIZTjpMJM&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YdvIZTjpMJM&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZcUutK21Xk&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZcUutK21Xk&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »

Good post and welcome back Grin

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: