Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

cymbals - Drum Solo Artist

November 18, 2019, 01:30:34 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: cymbals  (Read 7491 times)
texjb

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:52:25 PM »

I am looking for some advice on my cymbals! I practice in a nice acoustic room that my drums sound great but the cymbals sound too tinny. I am using Zildians,22"ride,18"thin crash,14"thin crash,14"hi-hats and 1 18'SabianB8 crash that sounds ok.I have never used Sabians before but I am woundering if thats the way to go???
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 07:39:27 PM »

Characteristics of Cymbal Sound doesn't depend on a brand name!

Sound is a VERY TRICKY question...

Sound of any instrument depends on a lot of factors, one of them is the room you are in. I would suggest, before changing your cymbals to try to experiment with the acoustics of the room. Maybe the room walls are reflecting too much sound, or the sound reflection of the walls and ceiling is too crisp, I would try to change that before spending all that cash on a new cymbals.

In any case all drums and specially cymbals sound different, the idea is to match the sound between them and to make the whole kit sound the way you prefer.

And that is my opinion.
animal

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:13:57 AM »

What kind of Zildjians are you using? There are alot of factors in the sound of a cymbal. One of the biggest ones is the metal alloy it is made of. If you have cheaper zildjians, like the ZBTs, then they are
mostly copper and that gives it that tinny hollow metallic sound. Sabian B8s are the same way.

rock
MRSMASH

ba-dom-dom tsshhhh

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »

GET THE CRASH OF DOOM  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I always try for pairs of cymbals that work well together, for example i have a 18' and a 16' Sabian Metal X crashes and they have the same kind of ambient ring, my splash and my china (Zildjian ZBT, and Zildjian oreiental), my ride and my bell....ect, so when I play on my crash i use the other one as well, neways you get what I'm say. Go to the music store and playaround until you find the sounds your looking for and then try and get other cymbals that work well with them
(just my personal take on it, different people have different ways, this worked well for me Cheesy)

"If you understand the brick, You understand the wall"-Terry bozzio
MapexBeater

Indian Drummer Man

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:24:09 AM »

You haven't mentioned which Zildjian cymbals you are using.

The following are the types of cymbals:

1) sheet brass (entry level): These would sound like crap. Too bright, tinny, ringy with a bad tone.

2) Sheet Bronze (intermediate) : Much better than brass but still not quite professional sounding because these are made from bronze sheets and hammered afterwards. Zildjian ZXT, ZHT. The new ZHT's are really great cymbals because they're made from sheets of the same alloy as the Avedis Zildjians.

3) Cast Bronze (top of the line): These are professional lines of cymbals cast moulded from B20 alloy and hammered to give them the sound characteristics they need. Professional almost always use cast bronze cymbals.

In my honest opinion spending money on Zildjian ZBT would be total waste. I suggest you go for Sabian B8Pro or Paiste PST5.

The best thing would be to have patience, save up and invest on cast Zildjian. The AVedis Zildjians are the most affordable in this category. Versatile and bang for your buck!!

Mapex M Series + Avedis Zildjians + Evans batter heads
iamanidiot32180

iamanidiot32180

KAEOLYN

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:34:22 AM »

i like the way Sabian B8s sound, thats what i got on my set.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: