Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

hmmm pedal help! - Drum Solo Artist

October 24, 2020, 06:51:22 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: hmmm pedal help!  (Read 10959 times)
kamakazee

kamakazee

CAZ

View Forum Profile
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »

hello!!!

ok i'm looking to get new double bass pedals but cant decide which ones to go for  Undecided so....

i've been looking at

Tama Iron Cobra HP900PTW Powerglide
DW8002
Mapex P980A

i'm liking the look of the DW8002 pedals...hmmm can't decide  Huh
patafla
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »

I like Pearl Eliminator the most. They have extended adjustment features which work really well and much better than Iron Cobra. DW usually has that rough heel plate so if one wants to play without shoes you may hurt your self.

just some thoughts,,
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:01:19 AM »

Tama Iron Cobra is my choice for many years now... I simply can not get the level of adjustment from any other pedal...

Ok, ok, perhaps some pedals do provide the same adjustments in same places as the cobras by now...

Still cobras have this "combination" of the most adjustable pedals out there AND being one of, if not THE strongest hardware wise.

No matter how hard do I actually kick my pedals, I usually have to repair an iron cobra once every 7 - 10 years.

My DW 5000 can only handle 1 to 3 years of my aggressive hitting... Grin

Specially if you are talking about HP900PTW ! - Thats the pedals that I have in my remote setup! - Going strong for 7+ years now... (no repairs have been done yet!) Wink

PS: I guess by now you are thinking something along the lines of: Subjective thoughts hmmm...

My best advice would be to just try them, and see what feels comfortable to you... Huh
patafla
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »

different point of view - great!
kamakazee

kamakazee

CAZ

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »

i'll check out the cobra's Tama how could they fail lol DW don't look as chunky thats all
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:07:12 AM »

I have been using a DW 5000 series pedal for years now never a problem or repair. For me atleast I think that pedal is an excellent choice. As one poster said try a bunch out see what feels good to you. Also keep in mind there are Dozens of choices in Double kick pedals DW, Pearl and Tama aren't the only ones who make good quality gear.   T
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »

I might throw in my "other" choice for pedals................. Yamaha. Those things lasted 10 years for me and when they went ( of course in the middle of a gig ) I had to react swiftly and picked up DW 5000 and there going on 5+ years, no problems. Even without shoes.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »

Durability is a only moderate factor for me.  Basically, no one would want a product that wasn't built to hold up under years of playing and transport. So, I expect a bass drum pedal that is built by a reputable manufacturer to perform without "missing a beat"  Grin.

There are many well made and durable pedals on the market.  So how did I arrive at my choice?

The major factor for me is feel. I want a bass drum pedal that has the balance of contol, rebound and beater impact that allows me to play without having to worry about mechanical issues. I have no use for a pedal that I have to "stomp" to accomplish a usable physical impact.  That simply slows you down, compromises control, and increases the possiblity of fatique.  Who needs to do that?

In addition, I want a pedal that is easy to place onto my bass drum hoop and that will not chew it up the hoop like a woodworking appliance.

My pedal of choice for several years has been the Yamaha direct drive model.  Rather than chains (noisy for me) or straps (they stretch) the cam-design drive is made out of metal. It has a smooth and controlable range of motion that responds instantly.

The Yamaha direct drive model has the smoothest footboard/beater action I have yet found.  Although the Axis and the Trick pedals are smooth action pedals as well, they do not have the well thought out mounting mechanisms and the ease of set-up. They are not as trouble free for a "set it" and "forget it" user.

I like the Yamaha direct drive pedal so well that I replaced my hi-hat pedals with the direct drive hi hat counterparts as well.

Drums need tuning and maintenance.  Heads and sticks need routine replacement. However, in my opinion, hardware and pedals should be something we purchase, set up to our own needs, and then basically not have to think about afterwards.

With proper care and transport safeguards, a bass drum pedal should perform beautifully everytime and maintain the "feel" you prefer.

* Yamaha Direct Drive Double pedal.jpg (56.98 KB, 432x275 - viewed 944 times.)

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Magma1261

Magma1261

Magma12

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »

im going to have to say iron cobra because of the great feel and they are light weight and can still deliver a great punch
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: