Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Big Time via Billy Ward - Drum Solo Artist

November 17, 2019, 07:52:03 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Big Time via Billy Ward  (Read 8234 times)
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »

Just, and still, going through Billy Ward's Big Time video.  Of course it's not confined to just counting in big time, he likes explaining himself too much to confine to just that, but I understand why he entitled the video Big Time.  If you count in big time it zeroes in on the accuracy of the tempo, every drummer should use it.  I have used a variation of big time, but not all the time.  Billy defines it in a way that you can understand the why, as well as the how, and benefit greatly. 
Be the best tempo keeper in your group by learning this technique.
Beatpsychic

Beatpsychic

There is always more to learn...

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:11:22 PM »

Great Vid glad to see your checking it out!
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »

Yup...thanks for gifting me that one.  You could have added "finally" checking it out.  I'm really glad I did.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:48:15 PM »

Just wanted to bring this subject back up to attention, for the newbies if nothing else.
Counting time in this way can afford you a way to evaluate what it is that you wish to hear yourself do.
It can also improve your perspective as to what can be done in a single measure of music, bridge...etc.
I'm sure this technique may be checked out on line, as I don't want to seem to be promoting anyone's product in particular.  I just know how it helped me to understand some things a bit more clearly.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  That's the essence of having the DSA Drum Forum.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »

I went on-line and watched the BIG TIME trailer and was certainly impressed.  Billy Ward is a remarkable musician, who is REALLY into getting all the sounds and textures that he can imagine out of his drum set.   Cool

His techniques with various sticks, brushes, mult-rods, mallets, and other striking implements, as well as his hands; produce some amazing parts.  In a world where a great many drummers only use sticks to play predictable beats......Billy Ward is a musician who, at your first listen,  instantly separates himself from the realms of "me too" drumming.  Shocked

If you're a drummer still shackled with the mindset that you're only interested one one genre of music, then you may not be able to fully appreciate the clever coolness of his playing.  However, you can't deny that while he can certainly play anything......that many many others can't say that.  Roll Eyes

If you're wanting to hear great examples of "originally" get some of Billy's recording or videos.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: