Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Happy 2009.....now let's get our own affairs in order - Drum Solo Artist

April 16, 2021, 01:30:54 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Happy 2009.....now let's get our own affairs in order  (Read 6259 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: January 02, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »

Well, we have celebrated the holiday season in our own ways and in many of our cultures it is traditional to make some “resolutions” for the new year.  We all need to consider realistic goals and realistic plans to achieve them.  Maybe you have put some things off for too long.  Maybe it’s time to deal with that reality.

This post is not intended to be a sermon from a “know-it-all”, but rather straight forward advice, based on real life observations and personal experience.  I will say that trying to “fool ourselves” is probably the worst thing anyone can get into the habit of doing.  Call it denial, lying to yourself, pretending, living in a make-believe world, or whatever connotation you might decide to describe it…..it’s still the main ingredient in failure.

If you are going to make some resolutions, why not be realistic and begin doing some things that will improve your lifestyle and your professional situations.  It has been said, that with three or four weeks of repeated behavior, a person can develop new habits to replace the undesirable ones.  That may be worth trying, since most of our “bad” habits took much longer to materialize.

In my opinion, the best resolution we can make for ourselves is to live a healthy lifestyle.  Enjoy your “indulgences” in moderation….be in control of them.  Whether it is ice cream, cigars, wine, or whatever else….make it an occasional treat if it is currently “out-of-control” and causing your health and appearance to suffer.

Eat foods that give you the nutrition you need for your level of physical activity and avoid the foods and beverages that actually have harmful effects on your body.  Take vitamin supplements that help you keep your immune system working and that allow you to get the daily intake of vitamins and minerals that sometimes aren’t included in your food intake.

Some of us need to make financial resolutions.  That may include saving more of the money we earn, or getting control of credit card debt, impulse spending, and developing a realistic budget.  The point is that only YOU can honestly evaluate your financial outlook.

Some of us need to make changes that impact our personal relations.  That may include family, friends, business partners, and clients.  If you have stressful relationships, then why not make a genuine attempt to set things right.   If after a sincere attempt to do so, it is not successful; then you can move on with the peace of mind that you DID try to mend things…..and from that point forward, you are freed from that guilt of NOT trying.

Musically, some of us need to commit to regular structured practice time.  We may need to expand our musical capabilities or just plain woodshed some of the things we have not mastered.  Again, only YOU can honestly determine your musical deficiencies, and do what it takes to correct them.

Some of us may have musical projects that we need to finish.  That may be a solo CD or some other recording.  It may be a composition.  Whatever it is, if it is really important to you, make plans to schedule time for it.

There are probably several other aspects of YOUR life that need honest assessment, so you can chart out a realistic plan for a successful outcome……job, education, net working, faith matters, substance abuse, etc.   Only you know what it might be.

We all have to be true to ourselves about whatever situations we are facing.  However, the bottom line is that brutal honesty, making sincere action plans, and establishing better personal habits are things ONLY WE can affect.  Be true to yourself......there is no better time to start than right now.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »

Hi,

I agree.  I've decided to make this the best year I've ever had.  That means I have to make certain goals and make plans to reach those goals and keep trying until I reach those goals.  And If somehow something trys to keep me from reaching those goals, I will have to keep on trying.  Keep on trying until I reach those goals.  (Commonly know as the secret to success).  I'm not trying to preach either, but that's the only way to make things better (that is if your goals are worthy goals).  Making plans also includes making plans to aquire whatever you need to reach your goals, for example - knowledge.

One of the things I have to do is become a better drummer.  No matter how much I practice and learn, there is always so much more.  It's a never ending quest to improve yourself.  It's like opening a door to a room and finding 10 more doors.  The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

So, It's time to start.  NOW!

Don

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

Wise words Don.   I wish you success in all of your endeavors.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »

Thanks Ken,

I wish the same for you too and everyone else.  I forgot to add that (without sounding corny) we should make this a year for helping others reach their goals or whatever they are trying to do, also.  More than last year.

Don
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: