Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Need a bit of help..=[..double bass related.. - Drum Solo Artist

October 20, 2020, 07:03:09 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Need a bit of help..=[..double bass related..  (Read 12068 times)
Misery_Signals

View Forum Profile
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:33:50 AM »

Been playing for about a year now. What originally attracted me was blast beating, and quick double bass beats, but i've fallen for all of it now. There have been rapid advances in my hand ability and "on-the-fly" drumming..where previously i wasn't able to play without a tab infront of me. But i've hit a snag, i've begun updating my kit from my basic one my parents bought me, only for $350 (AU) but it did the job. I've replaced skins and hi-hat stand as well as cymbals. My issue is, my Bass pedals - Gibralter 5600 Series. (Single chain drive, around $250 (AU) so not top of the line). I'm finding that after previously being able to blast pretty quick for a beginner, i'm losing my talent to remain quick and have lost the nack for my older techniques as i discovered what i thought were new better ones. I think part of the problem now for my new technique is my hardware. I need better springs as my pedals are far too lose and i'm not being provided with enough rebound, at least i think that's the issue. I'm looking towards purchasing DW 9000 (any other brand suggestions?) pedals for around 750 - 950, which are a while off in terms of money accumulation..unforunately..SO i need to know how i'm gonna get around this! I have a band try out in a couple of days! I need help!!!
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:08:45 AM »

I may be forgetting some model numbers, but Gibraltar produces a pretty decent drum pedals... - Could you point me to the model you have from THIS GIBRALTAR DRUM PEDALS list so I (perhaps) would be able to recommend some adjustments?

Personally I am in love with Tama Iron Cobras... I think they offer all of the imaginable angle/tension adjustments and they are so heavy duty that I was not able to break even one pedal for a decade of heavy double bass drumming... (I had multiple repairs done to all of my "other" pedals during the same period of time)

And IF you are looking to replace your existing drum pedals, you can always check out ebay... - from what I see they have some drum pedals starting from $130 per pedal...

Are you using 2 single pedals or a double one?

So to sum it all up here is the list of new drum pedals, and if you are "on a budjet" here is a list of used drum pedals

That is as far as "shopping" goes, I will wait to confirm your existing model number, and we will see if we can adjust it for a better performance...

Cheers.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:35:54 AM »

Wait... Do you have the drum pedals from THIS GIBRALTAR CATALOG?

If yes that do you have 2 singles or a double?

Also... Could you tell us more about the "older techniques" you are talking about?
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »

I believe the selection of the "RIGHT" pedal is a very personal matter.  You say that you  currently have a single chain drive model....I suspect with a smooth cam and not a spoked sprocket.  That may...or may not be the best solution for you.  But that is something that you very honestly have to dermine yourself. 

In addition to the chain/smooth cam style ( which is just a chain instead of a strap)drives, and chain with sprocket drives there are some other pedals to evaluate.  Some drummers feel that they get more speed and control with a nylon strap drive.  Some feel that get more speed and control with a direct drive (i.e. Yamaha, Axis, Trick, and a Gibraltar model).  There is also the new model Pacific BOA wihich is more like a "bow flex" drive.  Ludwig Speed Kings and Trick pedals have compression springs, instead of stretch springs.

So there are lots of pedal choices to a acommodate our physical variances.

My suggestion is that you should test drive some different models at a drum shop....with your feet....not your fingers.  Determine exactly what style drive works best for YOU.  ONLY YOU will really know......so forget brand names and be very honest with yourself.

If your bass drum work is important to your performance success.......then you NEED the pedal that allows you to play your best.

If you've got to play blast beats for your band's music, then you need to have a pedal that allows you to do whatever is needed for the whole performance!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »

Hi,

I can't tell if you mean two seperate pedals for two bass drums or twin pedals for one bass drum.  But, I've used dw twin pedals and I like them.  I am now using Iron Cobra twin pedals for one bass drum.  I like them too.  I'm using the heavy duty set.  I believe the Iron Cobras are cheaper.  They are well made and can handle anything you can throw at them.  So, you might check them out and see what you think.

Don
rdrummer322

rdrummer322

Jim Tyler

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »

I'm known as someone who always tries to find a solution in the cheapest manner possible. Take off one of the springs and take it to your hardware store. I did this recently and replaced 3 springs from an old Tama pedal for better ones ( they even had the top and bottom loop to connect to the drives). Total cost, about $5.80 and about an hour of my time. They had the exact size spring available so I actually picked up a couple extras that were a little looser to have just for experimentation purposes.
Misery_Signals

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:51:02 AM »

Umm..haha whoops, christmas n all that had me in a bit of a dillusioned state. Your all very professional haha, but i mean, double bass pedal, on a single bass drum. None of those pedals are the same..they were sold to me, and are advertised here - http://www.drumpower.com.au/store/product.php?productid=167&cat=41&page=1 ...as 5600's. I've kinda got a grip back on the technique i was using, i had the springs as tight as they could go, which worked for me. but then it..stopped working..for some reason, so i loosened them completely, that didn't work, but half tension seemed to have done the trick. However i'm still now looking towards new hardware..and DW's or cobra's were sorta the only ones i had eyes for...only because i don't know any other up market 'pro' pedals. SOO, now i'm stuck with that, also needa know whether it's worth me getting an electric kit if anyone can help haha =P

rdrummer322

rdrummer322

Jim Tyler

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »

There are numerous "pro" pedals out there, I guess you will have to try some at a percussion shop. It really depends on the feel you want. As far as electric, I would love to put together an electric set but I really don't need one for what I do. There are other cost involved in buying electric, the amp, headphones, etc., but you already knew that. For certain situations, electric is the way to go, if you need quieter practice, church gigs, doing a lot of recording, and so on. If none of these really apply, I really would stick to creating the acoustic set of your dreams. Take your time, get quality. You have only the rest of your life to be happy that you did.
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:55:54 AM »

Hi,

You can get infromation about double bass pedals at this site:  http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=60291&page=1&pp=12.

Don
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: