Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Open Handed? - Drum Solo Artist

August 14, 2018, 07:05:21 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Open Handed?  (Read 15705 times)
Goat-man

View Forum Profile
« on: November 29, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »

I'm curious, are there any other drummers on this forum that play open handed? I'm right handed, and I play a right handed kit (Although my crash/ride is on my left and my mounted tom is on my right). I'm slowly trying to teach my self to play cross armed, but the only real time I play cross armed is when I'm sticking on the rim of my snare with my hi-hat closed.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:58:58 PM »

I play open handed... Although I have a regular right handed setup with a second hi hat on the right side below the ride (which is my main hi hat)

number 34 in my drum setup

That allows me to have my left hand "open" for almost anything I want to be played on toms, octobans, etc while "not breaking the rhythm"...

Cheers
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »

I am right handed and set my hi-hats on the left side and my ride cymbal on the right side, but I play both cross-hand and open hand on the hi-hat cymbals.  For me it just depends on what the tune being played requires my right hand to be doing (i.e. a repeating pattern on snare and toms with my right hand).  Cool

HOWEVER,
I only use one set of hi-hats so I've just developed the ability to switch to open-handed (when needed) over many years of playing.  the open-handed style is not my "usual way" of playing....just when needed.  Wink

I also mount my cowbell on the hi-hat stand (on my left side) because it gives me the option of playing it with either hand (again, according to the requires of the tune).   Smiley

AS far as recommendations about playing opened-handed as opposed to cross-handed......everyone has to play in a manner that is best for them.  One or the other?.....both?.    I say do your own thing your own way. Grin

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:12:16 PM »

I am a lefty and play open handed on a right handed kit set up.  I also play guitar right handed.

I find open handed allowes me to move about my kit more freely. However, I have seen outstanding advantages of cross handed play that I have not mastered open handed.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »

Play the way that is the most relaxed way FOR YOU so you can focus on producing sounds and colors instead of being a contortionist.

There is certainly not "JUST ONE WAY" to play.   Neither is there any reason you can not utilize more than one approach.  For example, so many drummers use BOTH traditional and matched grips.  Some others play BOTH cross handed and open handed styles.  I even seen some drummers play with the traditional left hand grip in both hands!  Kind of the polar opposite of the "matched grip" even though it is matched in either hand.  What the heck....play the way that truly inspires you to give your best performance.   Cool

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »

I agree, great advice Ken.  Love the kit.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »

Hi,

I play cross-handed.  I can play open-handed, but I'm just comfortable playing with the cross-handed way.  I don't have any trouble moving around the set and playing what I feel like playing.  Like Ken said, they are many ways to play.  Find one that allows you to do everything you want to do easily and smoothly while keeping "the groove".  After all, in the end the only the thing that is important is playing in such a way that the other muscians can "cook" and make great music, unless you're just trying to pick up girls.  Of course that's always cool too.

Don
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »

Don brings up a very important topic that many of us will want to know about........exactly which grip impresses girls the most?   Now this is "blues news you can use"

Wink Grin Cheesy Shocked Cool

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
ching

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »

I am not a drummer and at 70 years old I think it's a little to late to learn.My brother has played the A band circuit in Canada for about 40 years.He has been working with my grand daughter who is 15 and been  playing for about a year now.She is right handed and he has begun to teach her to play left as well.She work on rudiments three nights a week for an hour at a time and the off nights she plays to recordings and just has fun.
What he has told me is if she works with her left hand until it is as fast as the average drummers then goes to an open style her speed on her kit will increase dramaticaly.Does this sound right to you?He is a left hander that plays right.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 12:19:24 PM »

I play open handed on some tunes and traditional cross hand on others.  My open hand playing seems to have a more loose feel, whereas my traditional cross hand style is more precise and tight feeling.

My set-up is based on the usual right hand drummer approach with the ride cymbal on the right side and hi hats on the left side.

I say that there are no empirical rules......just set up in the most comfortable way you can.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: