Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Mounting Legs on a tom - Drum Solo Artist

February 23, 2019, 03:44:04 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Mounting Legs on a tom  (Read 10562 times)
sum1

View Forum Profile
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:40:41 PM »

Is it possible to put legs onto a tom which does not already have them? Would this hurt the sound quality in any way? What would be the most effective way to do this and how much would it set me back? I have two big floor toms which were for some reason designed to be attached to a stand but I don't like the way this feels or looks so I'm hoping to be able to attach legs to it like on any normal floor tom.

Thanks in advance
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:03:11 PM »

Yes......... you can certainly mount legs onto your drums.   Sound?  "Hanging" or "mounted" toms vs. true "floor" toms......it's a subtle thing that only you can decide about. 

There is a THIRD option.  The R.I.M.S. systems (as some other companies) have mounts with LEGS that require NO DRILLING.  This is an option to consider if you are NOT SURE you will like the sound of the toms with shell mounted brackets and legs.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »

My question is...

How expensive are the toms in question? Grin

Seriously!

If they are VERY expensive AND you REALLY care about keeping the shells "untouched" - I would go with the Ken's "Rim Suggestion" in order Not to drill the drums.

Otherwise I would get my self some brackets and floor tom legs and than I would drill the hell out of the.....

Wait.... I have drilled almost every drum on my $15.000.00 Mapex!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked (by almost every, I mean I still have the 8inch tom completely untouched  Cool )

Yeah! Personally I would drill! Cheesy - But it is just me!! - I love building and redesigning the way drums and hardware was designed! Tongue
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »

I'm curious about how they mount legs without drilling.  I'll check it out on line.  I'll check back in with an opinion.  (no surprise there, I'm sure)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »

Tomm,

To answer your question about "legs without drilling"

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dynamount.html

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »

Thanks for that Ken.  I was thinking they would have used the existing rim mounts, or bolts some how, but the design is interesting.  Hopefully (and I can't really tell from the photos) they protect the rim from damage.

The thought of an air suspension type mount was another design that I suspected. 

How do you like the Dynamount system?
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »

I don't use this kind of legs  mounting system on any of my current set-ups.  The fact is that I don't have any problems with floor tom sustain anyway.  I believe that modern day top-end drums are well designed.... including the mounting systems or legs for the toms.  For what top-end drums cost, I believe we should expect that.   Wink

For other price-range drums.... where there IS a sustain problem.... the legs mounting system might help.  In my opinion, tuning and the type of heads are the most significant factor.

When I have seen and heard drummers with what I thought was a killer floor tom sound....some had legs on the floor toms.....some had them mounted on stands.   

IN NO WAY am I implying that the system doesn't help produce more floor tom sustain.  I am simply saying that the floor toms I have, as well as those that I said above had killer sounds......didn't need more sustain to make them sound great.

If you DO have a floor tom sustain issue that tuning and heads can't resolve.....then the suspension type legs mounts may, indeed, be a remedy.  However, it might be that the bearing edges need to be re-worked as well.   

The sounds you really want and the sounds you are actually getting from your gear are subject to so many personal variations.  So there is no universal answer.  Only YOUR ears can decide what works best for you.

It's the same way with snare drums and bass drum.....don't you think?    Some drummers want the snare drum to ring......some want it dry......some are somewhere between those parameters.  Some drummers want a hole in the front head of the bass drum......some don't.

I advise drummers to set up whatever way rocks THEIR world.   Smiley Wink  It's YOUR sound!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59:36 AM »

Absolutely right, Ken, finding the right sound for each drum is a very personal thing.  Snares have been my personal demon, followed closely by bass drums.  I still experiment with the snare drum set up, with my goal now being individual clarity in "phantom" strikes, used predominately in jazz.   
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »

Ditto

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: