Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Your favorite cymbal set - Drum Solo Artist

October 17, 2019, 06:48:32 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Your favorite cymbal set  (Read 15665 times)
christo492

View Forum Profile
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

hello!
first, I wanna say that I'm french so sorry for the mistakes

I would like to know your favorite (the NAME [for example : zildjian a custom power ride]) set of cymbal. A ride, a crash and hi hats.

It will help me to buy some so please leave a little comment of why you love this cymbal!

thanks  Grin
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »

I prefer Zildjian cymbals, but I'll say what most others will tell you.  Go to your local music store and try out different types and brand names.  You will know what you like when you hear it. 

Chances are you may decide you like something different sooner or later, and that is what "on line auctions" are for.  Sell...buy...it's all part of your artistic options that you will soon realize, and learn to enjoy.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »

I do have some favorite cymbals, but let me start by saying that I have choosen MOST of the cymbals in my stash for playing the different styles that I get called for.  So some of my cymbals are for low volume accoustic jazz dates and other are for medium to high volume show dates.  All of my cymbals are Paiste (various series) and I'll pick out sizes and weights that best suits the booking and the venue.  I do the same thing with drum sizes and combinations, as well as, with snare drums.  It's simply trying to select the "right" gear for the music to be performed.

As far as my favorite cymbals.....well my favorite combination is:
Paiste Traditionals Series  22" Medium Light Swish
Paiste Twenty Masters Series 22" Dark Crisp Ride
Paiste Signature Series 14"  Sound Edge Hi Hats, 18" Fast Crash, 18" Full Crash

What you choose should reflect what sounds "right" to YOUR ears and seems most appropriate for the music you are performing.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »

Ken said it best.

"What you choose should reflect your work and sound "right" to YOUR ears and for YOUR musical needs!

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »

Something that I often recommend to new drummers to do BEFORE they go out and buy cymbals is to listen to live recordings where they REALLY like the hi hats sound.....or another live recording where they really like the crash cymbal sounds.....or the ride sounds.....or other cymbal sounds.  Then check out the drummer(s)'s website and see what they are actually using for live performances.

It may surprise you to discover that your EARS prefer cymbals much different from what slick advertising efforts have tried to make you think you needed.

Do you realy want a color coated cymbal that looks so cool in the advertisement or do you want the ones that you think sound absolutely AMAZING on the live recordings?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »

Very True

arkdium_0893

arkdium_0893

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »

"My dream cymbal set"
-Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hat 14"
-Paiste 2002 Medium Hi-Hat 13"
-Paiste 2002 Wild Ride 22"
-Paiste 2002 Wild Crash 18"
-Paiste 2002 Medium Crash 18"
-Paiste 2002 Power Crash 19"
-Paiste 2002 Wild China 21"
-Paiste 2002 China 18"
-Paiste 2002 Thin China 14"
-Paiste Twenty Mini China 12"
-Paiste 2002 Splash 10"
-Paiste 2002 Splash 8"
-Paiste 2002 Wild Splash 10"
-Paiste 2002 Cup Chime 8"
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »

Sounds kind of like my stash......but I never put them ALL up at once. Usually only 5 or 6 most most work.

I pick out a few to use for the whatever the engagement requires.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to transport all of of the hardware.   Grin

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »

Here's one of the problems going to your local music store to try out different brands. There are none. I'm talking about mostly the big box retailers or smaller chains and to some extent bigger Indie's. The BIG3 have such a stranglehold on Cymbal selection it isn't funny. You could apply that to Drums for that matter to a lesser degree. If it weren't for the internet I'd NEVER see alot of brands of cymbals. It's just a pet peeve I have. A few large brands dominate drum selection and the BIG3 dominate Cymbal selection. It's a scam I tell ya a scam.      DUCE
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »

Several of the major cumbal makers have MP3 sounds they recorded of their various models, and set up as a link on their websites.  It's not like playing these cymbals yourself, but it does give you are very good representation of the types of sounds the cymbals are designed to make.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:00:48 PM »

If you are deciding on an entire set of what cyms you are about to purchase, take the time to go to as many shops as it takes to find what you like. 

Basically, you'll find cymbals, and you'll find tin can lids (sound wise)  If what you decide on originally doesn't  impress you later, trade them off for what you want later.  It's not rocket science, it's particular cymbals.  Tune your drums, choose your cymbals, go with wood tips, go with nylon tips, just do it in time (using a metronome if necessary) and express yourself.  Have fun, and make money whenever possible.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »

Lots of new models on the market now.  Anyone want to share some thoughts about some recent experiences?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »

Anyone using those models with big holes cut into them?  Examples:  Sabian O-Zone, Paiste Swiss Crash, Zilldjian EFX.

If so, what genre music do you feel they work best in?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: