Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Parradiddle's with bass drum - Drum Solo Artist

April 16, 2021, 01:24:19 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Parradiddle's with bass drum  (Read 8847 times)
bigspuds

View Forum Profile
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »

I'm new to drumming, i know 8 or so different beats. Trying to learn a few different beats with the single parradiddle. RLRR LRLL. The problem im having is first of all how is this paradiddle counted. Is it 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 etc or 1234 1234. The second question i have is where do i put the bass drum, i know it can vary, but for a basic learners beat where should it go , ive searched u tube lessons and they only say on the count of one and three, this is why i need to know how to count it, even this does not sound funky enough, on the videos oive watched for a basic beat there seems to be 3 or 4 bass beats per rlrr lrll. if any one can advise or give me a link to sheet music, or a video i would be very thankful, again be gentle im a beginner.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »

As a beginner you shouldn't stray from the basics too soon.  I would advise going with your time signature quarter note values, i.e. 4/4 time- bass beats 1-2-3-4, 3/4 time-bass beats 1-2-3.  I have found counting the paradiddle is best done with saying the syllables of the word in eighth notes for two beats.  Let me know if this works for you.  If not, I,ll turn your question over to my son, who is an instructor and see how he teaches his students.
rdrummer322

rdrummer322

Jim Tyler

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:29:10 PM »

I learned to play them as 16ths, 1 e and a 2 e and a,,with the par of the paradiddle being the quarter note (the diddle is where both the same hand plays). Once you get the feel of this, try putting the right hand on closed hihat and left on snare for a count or 2. Another interesting practice routine with this same beat is to move around your toms with regular 16ths, keeping a quarter note bass going, and when you get to the floor tom, do a paradiddle,RLRR, which now reverses the downbeat with the bass to the left hand and go back up the toms ending with a LRLL putting you back to your right hand lead.
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 04:51:24 AM »

Hi,

Go get the drum book "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone".  It's listed in the drum library.  If you can't read music that's ok.  The book is written so that's not necessary for most things in it, and those are the things you'll need to practice.

The book is primarily written to gain mastery over your hands, but you can use it with a bass drum.  You simply substitute the right hand in all the exercises with your right foot.   Your right hand plays the cymbal while your left hand and right foot play the exercises.

For example:  If an exercise is written like this:  RLRRLRLL you simply substitute the Rs (which is your right hand) for your foot.  That would be played like this: FLFFLFLL (with the F being your right foot).

The counting is simple.  These are eight notes.  You count eigth notes as "1and2and3and 4and".  There are 8 eight notes to a measure of 4/4 music.

If you practice those exercises with a metrenome going slow at first and gradually going faster as you master them, you should become better.

Don
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »

Bigspuds, Read all of the above suggestions six or seven times, and you may master the parididdle with your hands and feet...who knows.  But actually, I think you should invest in some lessons by a reputable instructor, and then come back here and pass on to us what you learn, because...and I'm sure most of these highly respected percussionists that frequent these pages agree...we never stop learning, because we don't want to stop learning.   DRUM ON.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: