Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

please help me - Drum Solo Artist

September 26, 2020, 02:20:47 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: please help me  (Read 10984 times)
afroman

afroman

View Forum Profile
« on: September 20, 2008, 05:37:50 AM »

i need help i need you to answer here it comes:

i'm playing with a band for 1 year and we started as a rock/punk you know we played some AC/DC and some Limp Biskit and we wanna go to the hard rock/metal kind of way so i bought me a new pedal ( a double one ) and now i need Cymbals i wanna hear an advice from you guys... if to hard rock/metal does 18" crash and 18" china is good? the question is if the size are good for hard rock? .. i thought to buy Zildjian's Cymbals the K series... unless it's not too expensive...XD

i have 17" crash 20" ride of Solar i bought thought with the drumset i bought it 2nd hand... and 8" splash of Sabian 1st hand

thanks for the help!
afroman

afroman

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »

my mistake i have 16" crash not 17"
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »

Zildjian K’s are great cymbals, but they most likely would not survive hard rock/metal playing as well as some other models would.  I suggest that you visit the websites of the major cymbal manufacturers and look at the models they recommend for the styles of music you want to perform.  Generally speaking the “power”, “rock”, and “metal” models are designed for heavier and louder playing.  K’s are usually thought of as more finesse cymbals rather than for loud rock volumes.

Most of cymbal makers also have illustrations of endorser set-ups.  So you can see what models your favorite artists are using to achieve their live sound.  Some companies also have sound samples, that I suggest you listen to through headphones, to get a more realistic idea of what the actual live sound would be.  The sizes you select….and the cymbals types (crashes, Chinas, rides, etc.) should be according to your tastes.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
afroman

afroman

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:16:26 PM »

10x i bought the A custom 17" crash and china 18" its my taste as you said thanks man
and i even bought double pedal !!!
cost 500 INS which is like 100 $..
cheap i think mapex very good..
XD Grin
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »

That does sound like a good deal.  I'm double kicking on a set of TAMA pedals now.  They are quick enough but I'm still trying to figure out how to minimize the back stroke of the beater, but I do like the action. 

I'm crashing on 16" thin, 18" medium thin, a 10" splash, a 12" custom made hammered crash, a 16" WOHAN China, a 20" Ride with a 3/4" X 5 1/4 bell , and 14" hi hats.  All are 25+ year old pre K series Zildjians, except the hammered crash which my son made for me.  Back in the day, I went to Biasco Music in Down Town Chicago, where they had every cymbal on test towers and you played and crashed to your hearts content and chose what you wanted then, or they would set your choices on one of the 200 plus sets they had set up, new and used, and let you kit test them.

My point is, my old Zs have never failed me.  If you can find some pre-Ks...go used.
afroman

afroman

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 05:54:22 AM »

10x man
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:51:19 PM »

The important thing is to play what appeals to you.   Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:12 AM »

You may want to go to a shop and try a few cymbals out.  Nothing like playing them first, this way you know what you are getting.  Also, K;s are great but if you a strapped for cash you may end up finding yourself in a different class of cymbal.

If you are not close to a drum shop, I think youtub was listed in another post, there are some pretty good vids of different samples of cymbals.  Some cymbal manufacturers also, post sound bits of their stuff.

DannyMeazell

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

Afroman,
     I play Texas Blues and Rock and I think the best cymbals for you are going to be Zildjian A Med to Heavy. Anything lighter will not survive really hard rock/punk/or metal. Zildjian Z are good heavy cymbals too. One of my two hi hats are Zildjian Z heavy. My other one is a K Custom Session Dark. At $600.00, not something you want to break. I am well known for being a hard hitting drummer, and that is what I use my Z hats for. I use the Ks for light accents. Do not get Zildjian ZBT, they are beginners and a waste of money.  I have been playing for over 50 years and I know cymbals.  Wink
     Tomm I miss the days you are talking about. They will still let you do that at Guitar Center. At least they do me!  Hey have you tried the Axis A Longboard double pedal? My first endorsenent was Axis. Very little backstroke. You would love them. Kind of pricey, but worth it.
Kickin Double
DM
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: