Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Drag Roll - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2021, 08:30:29 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Drag Roll  (Read 10302 times)
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »

I'm going to bring this up to spark a debate on the issue...if nothing else.  I know that in no drum lesson of any style is the drag roll taught.  Even so, I have used it with much success and satisfaction to what I have always tried to produce.  I do mostly use the taught rudimentary procedures on short and long rolls, but just the same, when I'm improvising with a group I haven't worked with a lot, or working out new tunes, as it were, I rely on a quick drag roll to move on without jamming up my brain with alternating doubles and the sort.

Comments?  Questions?
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »

When I read your post, I understood the drag roll to be a double ghost stroke (a rudimental drag) as a lead in to a double stroke roll.  Then when I read "without jamming my brain with alternating doubles and the sort".....well I just wasn't sure.

I use the pattern described above a lot, but it may or may not be the pattern you are asking about.  So give us a definition of the drag roll so the dialog is focused on the correct topic.
 Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »

Okay...sorry about the confusion.  It's a  one half beat 16th note roll done with the ride hand, usually...in my case the right hand (the one I play my ride cymbal with.  The drag is followed up by an accent hit on the component of your choice.  As I said before, it's something I use that works for quick fill, and intro into some quick lick solo jazz and/or rock.

So Ken, are you a member of this renegade brigade? 
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »

That helps clarify the pattern, now we'll see if we have some comments from the readers.  I know that I use the kind of pattern you're talking about quite often, so I quess that does make me a member of the brigade.   Cool

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Beatpsychic

Beatpsychic

There is always more to learn...

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »

I think Tomm is using a  R R L R sticking in a 16th note triplet context. Think of  the second part of a sextuplet and the forth stroke hits on the downbeat. So if you were using it at the end of a 4/4 bar... it would start on the & of 4 on the ride with two strokes R R... left hand(snare) on the 3 of the sextuplet, and the last R would be on a crash, or other piece... I think this is what he is describing(I have seen him do it a few times...and it's a cool lick)... 
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »

Yeah, that's it.  I remember the first time I did that in your presence, it was the first thing you commented on afterward.  The RR was on the #2 ride tom, L on the snare, and the R was a crash cymbal.  Of course I use it in other licks, and a couple of variations like improving another beat divided by eighths or sixteenths.  It gets me through some tough spots when these 57 year old reflexes just don't make the cut.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »

I agree with you both......it's a cool lick, when used in the right context.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: