Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Cymbal Brand Loyalty? Yes? No? Why? - Drum Solo Artist

July 18, 2019, 09:24:44 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Cymbal Brand Loyalty? Yes? No? Why?  (Read 29414 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »

Many drummers are loyal to a particular cymbal brand, choosing their various cymbal sounds from that particular cymbal maker’s product lines.

Others choose to have various cymbal sound combinations, regardless of the brand name, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Now, I am certain there are good reasons for either of these mindsets.  It is certainly not unusual for persons to have brand loyalty with quite an array of consumer products……soft drinks; beer; food brands; restaurants; banks; automobiles; tooth paste; clothing; department stores….basically anything commercially available.

I thought it would be interesting to hear from drummers who DO have a specific brand preference with cymbals and “WHY” they have that brand loyalty.  I don’t mean to do a “website commercial” for their brand choice but just the reasons “why” that brand gets their business. 

Now my preference is Paiste cymbals, and these are my reasons:

•   Paiste has several different alloys and design methods in making their various cymbals.  That results in an incredible array of cymbal models and sounds for me to choose from.

•   In my experience, their quality control is top notch and their cymbals have an excellent warranty.

•   I have also found that the Paiste Company is also quite willing to make custom order cymbals, and they even issue proto-type cymbals to their leading dealerships so that even non-Paiste artist customers can enjoy even more choices than just their catalog models.

•   The Paiste Company’s prompt “after sales” service for their customers has also impressed me.

•   Paiste cymbals have serial numbers which is very helpful in the event of theft and that also eases customs complications when you carrying your personal cymbals outside of the USA for performances.

I also want everyone reading this to understand that I emphatically agree that there are many other fine cymbals on the market today.  Many of them are quite impressive and innovative. 

So is it  “Coke or Pepsi” for you?   Cheesy Maybe you care for one over the other…..maybe you don’t.  Let’s hear some discussion from the readers.
Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:19:27 AM »

Well as soon as I will get full endorsement - THAT COMPANY will be my personal choice! - I dont really care what to play on as long as I dont have to pay for it!! Grin

OK, seriously, I do prefer Zildjian (AAX), I find them to be tough enough while softer sounding (not that crispy) and very musical. - Sabian's sound VERY similar to me, but they are a little less durable... - But DONT take my words as the the rule of thumb as it is only MY subjective opinion!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:57 AM »

- But DONT take my words as the the rule of thumb as it is only MY subjective opinion!
[/size]

Well, that's the whole point of this particular thread.....to hear why other drummers prefer certain cymbals.  For most of us, choosing cymbals is a very personal endeavor.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Cool Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »

Well, that's the whole point of this particular thread.....to hear why other drummers prefer certain cymbals....
 Cool Wink

Very true... and to add to the subject - Please tell us What was the most significant factor in making your decision? -Price, Sound, Brand Name, etc...
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »

Very true... and to add to the subject - Please tell us What was the most significant factor in making your decision? -Price, Sound, Brand Name, etc...

Well, I played Zildjian cymbals from 1962 until 1988, when I became more impressed with Sabian products.  I stayed with Sabian for several years.  THEN....after hearing drummer Paul Liem perform live with Amy Grant at the Nashville Arena in 1998, I asked what specific cymbals he was using because they sounded so different and so musical. Not just nice.....not just very appropriate............they were amazing.  Shocked Smiley

They were Paiste cymbals.  I went to Fork's and we picked out a few.  They were all from the Paiste Signature Series like Paul's were from....although somewhat different models than he used in his set-up.  After settling in with these new cymbals, I began to add some more and to develop combinations for my different performance situations.  Today, the bases are well covered.   Grin

I discovered that Paiste Signature Series cymbals are made from the exclusive Paiste "Signature" B15 bronze alloy, not the B20  bronze alloy used by Zildjian and Sabian.  It could be that their alloy and their production methods are the secret to that Paiste sound.  Whatever it is they just have a very distinct shimmer and a feel and response that just "does it" for me.  That was ten years ago and I truly love every single one of my Paiste babies.

Basically, Paul turned me on to Paiste and Yamaha.  I have not been disappointed with either company.

Now days, my drum locker has quite a stash of Paiste cymbals, not only from the Signature Series, but from the 2002 series, and the Traditional Series as well.  The new Paiste Twenty Series sound very "Zildjian Like"  (to me)and although they are very nice, they do not have the same characteritics that originally drew me into the Paiste product lines.  So I have not added any "Twentys" to my stash.   Roll Eyes

As I said before, there are a lot of very beautiful sounding cymbals made by the various cymbal makers today.  I do, however, have a overall brand preferance for Paiste products.   Wink

That was a long explanation to say that SOUND was the factor for me.   Roll Eyes

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:33 PM »

Interesting... I have never been in to Paiste, perhaps because of my lack of knowledge about them... I will try to educate myself more on the subject Embarrassed
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:44:31 PM »

PASHA, you make yet another interesting point, perhaps similar to my own experiences.

In my case, I had never considered Paiste cymbals because they were rarely found in Nashville shops during the 60's, 70's and 80's.  Even when some finally went on display in a Nashville shop, the selection was very limited compared to Zildjian products.  So I also  (like you?) had a "lack of knowledge" about Paiste cymbals.  My "lack of knowledge" was because there were none around here to play. Perhaps, you (PASHA) were never exposed to them during your earlier drumming days either?  Smiley

Nowadays I can walk into Fork's (Nashville Drum Shop) and have hundreds and hundreds of cymbals...in stock and in every brand ....to choose from.    Shocked

Back to this thread.....everyone's reasons and opinions are interesting to me, so I hope some other drummers will share their thoughts in this thread.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »

Okay, back to the original topic of this thread.......do you have a cymbal brand preference?

Some players might hear very little difference between the various brands and models , while others hear subtle variations or even very distinctive variations.  Some cymbals cost more than others.  Some cymbal brands may have a larger selection at your local drum shop.  There is also durability, cosmetics, and the impact of advertising and endorsements. 

Anyway....whether it's Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, UFIP, Bosphorus, or any of the other cymbal makers ....... what are the reasons for your perferences?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
CANNYD

LOVE YOUR DRUMS

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

hello all, ken pash havent spoken to u for a while as been too busy!!..this is wahy i love this site , you boys really and this site does cover some great topics, really in depth, Over here in Birmingham england i have been playing zildjians for 30 years .. mye reasons why i have stuck with one brand .........
A,  i have a colection of k custom dark hats , they are so gaddy, delicate buttery softness comes to mind, same with the cymbals i play k custom darks , i use differnt weights and have a lovely vintage ride and is a collector item now, i feel good quality comes to mind, good materials are used , the company is the daddy id say , experienced cymbal making runs in the family, thats what makes my mouth water , i have tried paiste , thought were great , i have had a bloody cheap b8 pro sabian china splash and was amazing, i recently bought a stag 20 " china for £35.00  , , you play it in a certain area of a song and its so poorly made it is amazing and trashy , i feel we can make them cymbals talk cant we , build it up.. thats what zildjian gives me , texture, warmth, crisp, digital, great range , maybe we get stuck in our ways and trust too much in a brand , but for me i feel u can be spoilt too much , my cymbals cover every range of music, you boys are obviosly being payed too much , send your money to a third world next time u go to buy a new one , !

DAZ CANNY
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:43 PM »

Hey DAZ!

Good to hear from you and you made some really great points!

Long history with their products
“i have been playing zildjians for 30 years”

Built up a collection of their products
“i have stuck with one brand .........
i have a colection of k custom dark hats ,  same with the cymbals i play k custom darks”

Feel“they are so gaddy, delicate buttery softness comes to mind

Pleased with the sounds and good quality“i use differnt weights and have a lovely vintage ride and is a collector item now, i feel good quality comes to mind, good materials are used”  “thats what zildjian gives me , texture, warmth, crisp”

Longstanding Reputation
“ the company is the daddy id say , experienced cymbal making runs in the family, thats what makes my mouth water” ,

Once again, some very good points about a very historic and established cymbal maker! 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »

I Like variety. I use zildjians, sabians, paiste, meinl and wuhan. There are just so many great brands of cymbals out there to me sticking with just one just ain't happenin. I fully understand why some of you guys do. Everything from you simply like that brand/series to the unifrom look a certain series has. But for me I like trying different stuff and quite frankly it's nice to use some stuff that you normally don't see. But ultimately it's all about the sound. I'm not using a camber or a union cymbal just to be different.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:45:42 PM »

There have been some new cymbal models and, in some lines, a completely new series released since this thread originated.

Anyone care to make some updates or new observations about your current cymbal preferences.

So far, we'd had a heathly mix of both brand loyalty guys and "whatever sounds best" guys.  Both are valid and interesting prespectives. 

Anyone out there have a set that's a mixture of every brand?  Roll Eyes

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »

I have always, primarily, used Zildjians.  When I began drumming my parents bought me a set of Wiess drums that came with an 18" ride and a set of hi hats that were so cheap they didn't have a name on them.  It became a goal of mine to graduate to Zildjians asap because that was the brand that anyone who was anyone, my personal mentor included, was using.

Later when I replaced the silver sparkle set, because they were stolen...and luckily the cymbals were stolen too, I bought my Pearls and all Zildjian cymbals.  Oh happy day!

Now I'm not so thick headed to not realize there are more reasons to choose a brand, or even an individual cymbal, because of its name.  I do have a Paiste 12" crash, and a Wuhan China crash, and I will be getting a new hi hat set for the right side, and a couple of other splash and/or crash also.  I will keep tabs on this and the other informative cymbal threads to help make decisions on these new choices.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

So far it sounds like everyone's primary criteria is.....I choose cymbals for the way they sound....brand name, warranty, looks, size, etc. is not my primary criteria.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »

Yes, me as well.  I have learned that paying for name alone is not the way to get the sound I seek.  Listen to the sound and once one knows which manufacturers make then the brand may start to be a factor so mix match brands would not be uncommon.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »

Well said, Johnathan.  Choose cymbals that produce sounds you can use in your performance situations.

If you don't like the sounds that certain cymbals produce.....then those models are not for you.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Goat-man

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »

I use Paiste for the following reasons

1) Durability- I bought a set  of 201's in January and I havn't seen one crack. I had a set of Zildjian ZHT's that only went 4 months before I found a crack.

2) History- Most of my favorite drummers use(d) Paiste, so why wouldn't that influence my decision?

3) Innovation- Sound edge HiHats and Nova Chinas. Great concepts like that inspire me.

4) They're cheap- Considering all of the above, Low price for durable cymbals that my favorite drummers used... it made a lot of sense to me to use Paiste

Now I'm not exclusive  because I have a Wuhan china cymbal which I love. I use what's right for me at this time. A few years down the road if I can obtain some professional grade cymbals, I'll do it no matter what brand they are. I'm open to new ideas, but I don't have the finacial resources to always be buying new cymbals. Durability is my biggest concern and I decided to use Paiste after reading several reviews about their good durability and low price. I don't want the best cymbals, I want the right cymbals for me and right now those are Paiste (and Wuhan) Wink
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 06:08:37 PM »

Where you purchase your cymbals is important too.  When I chose my original combination of Zildjians, I was allowed my choice of sticks to test any cymbal that I wanted, in any way I wanted.  I still own every one of those cymbals that I chose over 25 years ago.
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 06:18:08 PM »

I never thought to test them with the sticks I use, that makes sense, great advice Tomm, thanks!

vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »

I've been using Zildgians all my drumming days and that is by choice. Sound for sure, and wether I believe it or not, probably because that is all I saw from my favorite drummers. I have old A's & K's but, the setup today is the Projection series. These cymbals are 11 years old and the are as vibrant and stunning as they were then. That's sound wise, to be clear. Looks? They look used but the shine is just as brilliant. Logos intact, blah blah blah. That being said, it also comes to finances.

If I were to have a choice, my choice would be different now. Since I love cymbals and do alot of work with them, I've come to a conclusion. If all finances were intact and I had access to all manufactures, I would by 1 cymbal from every manufacture and throw a hybrid cymbal setup into play. Not all cymbals are created equal and I could use that to my advatage.  The pluthera of sounds that I could release would be awesome! Ahhhh, but I'm dreaming.  Now, let me go get the cobwebs out of my wallet! Roll Eyes
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »

Well put VISTA.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
yamaharec

yamaharec

View Forum Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:04 PM »

I used Ziljians for years & some Paiste & UFIP.My Favorite was a pair of 14" New Beats Hi -Hats. I had a huge 20" Paiste Crash that was amazing!!I sold everything and regretted it badly!!I was going through some tough times at the time!!Years later I go into drums again!!This time!!I learned something about through the years.If it sounds good try & keep it.If its the BEST you ever found & used DON'T sell it!!I found  a 16"Sabain AA Med Crash & 14"Pargon Hi-Hats!!I keep them after my second bout of lossing my job!I sold my 2 TAMA kits I had but kept my most prized cymbals no matter what the wife said!!But good things happen in the end!!I got my sh%t together & prevailed!!I slowly built up my current kit & cymbal set-up!!Since then I've been devote SABIAN fan!!I was always impressed with there lines & sounds of cymbals!!Prices were good to crazy but I always went for the sound more than anything!!I got a 21"Vault Tri-Zone Ride that took my breath away!!It was nearly $400 by the time I got it!!The Pargon 20" crash was over $200.The 14" Pargon Hats were $300+.The Chinnesse cymbals were $200 a pop.All together I have invested over $2000 in cymbals alone!!Would I sell any of them now??I'd rather not say because I know now how hard it is I find the right cymbals take ALONG time to find!!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 03:15:30 AM »

There are some new cymbal brands on the market now.  Seems overwhelming with all of the speacilaty models.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: