Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Help! - Drum Solo Artist

April 16, 2021, 02:07:01 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Help!  (Read 6882 times)
CobainFan

Nirvana Rules

View Forum Profile
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »

Anyone know any drumming exercises I could do to improve my coordination. Like when I play, I can't do different things with the bass and hi-hat cause my hand wants to follow whatever my foot is doing. Like if I try to put a double bass hit in, my hand hits the hi-hat twice, no matter what. My hand will follow my foot, or my foot will follow my hand. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve so I can do more complex things?

Hope that made sense. It's kinda hard for me to explain.
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »

Hi,  If you look at the drum library at this site, you can find some books that can help you.  Stick Control is the book I would recommend to get your hands in shape.  If you are playing one bass drum, then I recommend Ted Reed's "Bass Drum Technique".  If you are playing double bass, then I recommend Joe Franco's "Double Bass Drumming".  If you get those books and practice steadily, then you can improve.  How much you improve depends on how much you practice.  This is assuming you know how to hold the sticks correctly and whatnot.  If you aren't sure about that, Joe Morello has a good dvd that explains the basics.  It's "Joe Morello: Drum Method 1--The Natural Approach to Technique"  Don
Willis

Neat

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »

Assuming you are right handed - it's your left hand dude.

The way you described it you just have to practice snare hand independence to get out of the rigidity you've described.
Get your H/Hat and Bdrum going in a basic pattern and add as much complication as poss for the snare hand, keep that up then add double parts on BDrum and then start the work out for the snare hand with diifferent time sigs from hihat or Cym i.e. Swing then on to jazz - left/snare indie there is crucial.

Hope it helps - that's what we're here for.

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: