Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Does modern drum kit hardware HAVE to be double braced to be cool? - Drum Solo Artist

October 24, 2020, 08:10:29 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Does modern drum kit hardware HAVE to be double braced to be cool?  (Read 11176 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »

This is in regard to my recent blog:

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/blog/view/id_95/title_what-kind-of-harware-do-i-really-need-/

Is double-braced heavy duty hardware considered the most "desireable" alternative today?  Or is it sometimes "overkill"?  Is transport weight really a factor to the majority of working drummers?

Would you prefer a lighter weight hardware option IF it performed the function just a well as a heavier peice of hardware?

Is the overall "LOOK" of heavy duty hardware a significant factor over equal functionality with a lighter weight choice?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »

Okay,  I had some email asking why I didn't display my own answers to these questions.  So, here they are.

1.  Is double-braced heavy duty hardware considered the most "desireable" alternative today?
My Answer:  In my opinion, it has been a lengthy phase that is starting to change now that dependable lighter hardware (with the additional features that once was found ONLY on heavy hardware) is available.

2. Or is it sometimes "overkill"?
My Answer:   Many times it certainly can be.

3.  Is transport weight really a factor to the majority of working drummers?
My Answer:  I really don't know, if it is applicable to the majority, but if you transport your own gear, then it probably should be.

4.  Would you prefer a lighter weight hardware option IF it performed the function just a well as a heavier peice of hardware?
My Answer:   Duh!   Of course I would. 

5.  Is the overall "LOOK" of heavy duty hardware a significant factor over equal functionality with a lighter weight choice?
My Answer:   It could be with drummers wanting to emulate their hero's kit or maybe those who don't think that the newer alternatives will work for them.  They are also drummers who truly need the extra support of heavy double braced hardware because of the weight and/or set-up angles of the components on their kit.

Okay......now you have my answers, but other readers may differ with me on this topic

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
nickg

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 07:28:40 PM »

i used tama double braced stuff for years. it was totally no problem when i always had a road crew.

i got tired of carrying that stuff around myself though over the last "X" amount of years. a couple of years ago i bought all new Yamaha 700 series single braced cymbal stands, snare stand and hi hat. strong, sturdy and lighter in weight. i really like Yamahas hardware, and definitely love their Flying Dragon double-chain pedal. best pedal i've ever owned.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »

I started with single, converted to double braces because there is less movement.  Movement is our enemy.  If single braced, or lighter composites eliminate movement along with their other benefits, they've got my vote.  Looks wise?  Never really thought about it, I'm sure most people are impressed with what looks the most expensive, but in my opinion...if it lets your components move, buy better stuff.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »

Good comments from both Tomm and nickg.

I've used double braced stands and drum racks over the years.   Both systems provided me solid service, but they were very heavy to transport. Now, I use Yamaha 700 single braced sharware exclusively, with the exception of my Roc N Soc Drum Thrones.

With my six pc. kit, the left single braced boom stand holds a crash cymbal, a splash cymbal, and an 8" Rack Tom.  On the right side of the same kit, another single braced boom stand holds a ride cymbal, a crash cymbal, and a China cymbal.  These stands don't wooble, slip, or fall.....and they certainly save me a lot of transport weight!   So I no longer use any double braced stands because I can have sturdy and dependable service from these modern single braced stands ....and without the extra transport weight.

In a 4 pc configuration one single braced boom stand holds the floor tom, the ride cymbal and the right side crash cymbal.  That kit packs into four cases....(1) Bass Drum  (2) Cymbal Bag  (3) Hardware (4) Combo case that holds the floor tom, rack tom, and two snare drums.

So the modern single braced hardware solutions have worked fine for my performance needs. NOW ..... if you need double braced stands forthe components on your kit, or if you just prefer the look.....I am totaly cool with that.  I always advocate that you use the gear that suits YOUR needs! 

Packing, lifting and transporting hardware is both a PHYSICAL and FISCAL reality that I must consider.  Which brings up the packing advantage for me.  In packing, I only remove cymbal rods and fold up the legs.  I do not disasemble my stands sections or remove the multi-clamps.  They all pack easily and entact into my SKB harware cases.  It also makes set up quick and easy....fold down the legs...insert the cymbal rods to the memory lock connections, and place the stands at the floor position marks on my Gig Rug.   

So my answer to the question 'DOES MODERN DRUM KIT HARDWARE HAVE TO BE DOUBLE BRACED?" is:

"It DOES NOT for my playing needs".  The modern Yamaha single braced hardware (cymbal stands, snare stand, hi hat stand and well-designed multi-clamps) works very well for me.  I have never experienced a break down or malfunction with them.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: