Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

drum construction - Drum Solo Artist

October 20, 2020, 07:38:29 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: drum construction  (Read 7999 times)
simon9

View Forum Profile
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:34:31 AM »

hello, im a year 12 student from australia undertaking a project of building a 5 peice acrylic drum kit for school. i have many questions but here are just a few.
(1) what kind of sound do acrylic shells make?
(2) drum lugs are very expensive, so is it possible to construct my own by drill and tapping a thread into a block of alumium, or simuliar material? 
(3) if not can sombody tell me were to get cheap lugs and drum heads from? dont care if they are second hand and rusty, they only have to work.
and finally (4) how strong does the join of the acrylic shell have to be? i am currently researching differnt joining techniques, and found that just melting the plastic together is not very strong. is there another way that will allow the drum shells to hold up against me and my brother both playing it.

thank you in advance.
simon.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:55:53 AM »

If you try to make acrylic shells yourself, I feel that you are taking on a task that requires very special equipment and knowledge.  The heat and molding issues, as well as the abillity to produce a strong, perfectly round shell is not an easy home shop project.

Acrylic shells are available from several drum shell suppliers now and I highly recommend those rather than spending a lot of money trying to duplicate what modern technology has struggled with developing.  That is just my opinion and it is not meant to offend you.

The web site of a Nashville company that I am giving you below is one of many you can find on the web.  I am giving you this particular site because I KNOW they have all of the parts you will need ( acrylic shells, all the harware, heads) and also nstructions to help you with the work.  Because they have these on the web, you have access to a very comprehensive list of ALL the parts that you will need and you can get an idea of what the total cost to build your drums might be.

I am supplying this site as a reference source for your project, not as a recommendation of where you should purchase the parts you will need.  Good luck on your project.

Maybe some of the other drummers who read this forum and who have more acrylic drum experience can discuss the "SOUND" characteristics with you.

http://www.drummaker.com/

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 03:26:54 AM »

Big project, man...

Here is a few resources about drum shells and their construction methods that we have:
http://www.drumsoloartist.com/cgi-bin/searchit/search.pl?Terms=shell

And regarding the cheep drum lugs, check this out:
http://www.drumsoloartist.com/drumstore/Drum_Lugs.php

PS: I have never build a drum shell myself, so I would also recommend just to buy the shells instead of trying to produce them yourself, but thats just me Wink.
Hope that helps.
simon9

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

yeh thanks, i had a look at those web sites but they didnt really help me much.
the main part of my project is to construct the drum shells from scratch. sorry i proberbly should of said that in my first post.

any way bending the acrylic into a perfect circle is not a problem as i have done a test and it worked perfectly. except for the join of the acrylic. it just exploded once i hit the drum head with any force at all.
the join i used was kind of like a lap joint that i just heated up and pressed together. it turned out to be a complete failure.

also i would still like to know if i could construct my own drum lugs. and if i did would they affect the drums sound and tuning.

thank for your help so far
simon.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: