Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Your next Snare Drum addition - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2021, 10:20:24 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Your next Snare Drum addition  (Read 12459 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:15:26 AM »

If you could add another snare drum to your present drum collection (or aresenal- depending on how you think about it!)....... what would it be?

Do you already have something in mind that is available today? There are certainly LOTS of really cool ones out there nowadays!

Would have have something custom made?  The sky's the limit for this answer!

Are you still searching for a certain "vintage/collectable for your HOLY GRAIL snare drum?  We all probably have one of these in mind.....I finally found mine!

My answer:  I have several good solid workhorse snare drums for the kinds of sounds I need for my work.  So I would have a snare made to my specifications as a one-of-a-kind instrument for my own personal enjoyment!

How about you?   What's the snare drum you would add to your present stash?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
WildOrchidKayKay

WildOrchidKayKay

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »

Hey Ken,
I'm new to the whole forum things, but I figured "you know at every show i play, i geek out with the other drummer about stuff... and i love it, why not do it online?"So, I might have a long winded (fingered) response.

I already had a wide range of sounds from snares with the snares listed below:

7x14 maple  bridge deck  Boom Theory Percussion  (custom)
5x14 maple  bridge deck  Adinolfi (boom theory) Percussion   (custom)
7x14 brass                      Slingerland
5.5x14                             Slingerland
5x14 steel    free floating  Kepplinger
6x12   ascend pop corn LP percussion

So, for one of the bands I play in normally use my 7x14 brass snare because of the fat sound I can get out of it with the depth... but with the brass shell and 10 lugs its still pretty snappy for the music we're playing (and with strings sometimes its a bit much) , so I bought an older 10x14 8 lug (short lug) slingerland snare.  Although technically its a marching drum, with the right heads and my tuning abilities, I'm pretty sure this is gonna give me the think flappy snare sound i need.  So there is my long winded answer.  My 7th snare is a fat fat bastard.

Some people might lift their nose at the boom theory snares or at the LP little popcorn snare, but I don't care about brand, or gold plating on my drums.. for me its all about the sounds I can get out of my drums not what they look like...  I've heard an amazing drummer tune up and play  Pearl Forum to sound better than  DW in the floor at a guitar center.. its about the drummer half the time. and the sound you want to create,  and not the kit, at least thats what i like to think.  Although I have a feeling all you guys out there with those tricked out 5 thousand dollar kits are gonna kick me in the balls for that.  Smiley

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »

Hey W. O. KK.......you are so right.....it's all about what sounds good and the way you play it, not the price tag or the comestics!  Remember the kit that Shawn Pelton used to play on Saturday Night Live?  Now that was a perfect example of some great old mismatched looking drums that absolutely  rocked the house.  Cool

Thanks for sharing.  That's what this whole thing all about.....sharing ideas....opinions.....and even hipping somebody to a concept they haven't been aware of.  Wink

I'll bet that Kepplinger could shatter ear drums and make your eyes leak blood if you laid into it  Grin
The ones I have heard were absolute monsters.

Now that you've found the DSA Forum site, keep on posting.  There are lots of us that monitor this site and that like to talk about drums, cymbals, and musical concepts.

Maybe you can dowload some pictures of those cool snare drums in your stash.  Shocked

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vicfirth

vicfirth

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »

probably a pearl snare Cool

Class of 2011
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:25:29 PM »

Hi,

I just bought a 5" x 14" Canopus steel snare drum.  It is a real pleasure just to play it.  I would recommend checking out a Canopus the next time anyone is in the market for a snare drum.

Don
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:36:37 AM »

Is it them?? http://www.canopusdrums.com
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 05:15:38 AM »

HI,

Yes, that's them.  They are a small Japanese company that are really serious about making good drums.

But, as far as the rest of the set goes, I haven't decided about that yet.  (I'm not checking on that because I'm not ready to buy anything else right now.)  When I do decide to get a new set (minus the snare of course - I've pretty much decided that it would be hard to find a snare that makes me want to play it as much as this Canopus - I'll definitly check them out.

Sometimes Buddy would do a lot of stuff on the snare and occasionally throught in a few tom toms and bass drum work.  I feel like doing that with this Canopus (of course not like Buddy).

So, I'm really happy about the Canopus snare.  Also, I guess I should mention that I'm using a Remo Ambassador Coated Drum Head.  I only use Remo.

Don
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »

sounds pretty exciting!! - I will remember the name, to check them out!

Thanks!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »

The Summer NAMM was held in Nashville a few weeks ago and I visited the Yamaha rooms to talk to the reps and see what was on display. Yamaha has the Paul Liem models, and the Steve Gadd models, and the David Weckl models, but there was this beautiful copper shell snare drum that caught my eye.  I kept on going back to this snare drum that just had a different voice than my other snare drums.  It was the Roy Haynes 5 1/2" x 14" Hammered Copper drum, which I had never played before. Shocked

So, I gave it some serious attention and it responded by absolutely compelling me to play it some more.  I tuned it up; I tuned it down; I played and played.  I said I have to have this snare drum. Roll Eyes

Fast forward.  I played it live last night at an outside venue performance and I wasn't diappointed.   With no EQ or effects it ruled.  Not as bright as brass or steel; not as mellow as wood.  It had a dry mid range tone with no moon gel or anything else applied.   It was sensitive at soft volumes and it was powerful at louder volumes; it never choked or failed to rock my world.  I was happy all evening. Grin

Well, I really wasn't looking for another snare drum, but it followed me home and I'm keeping it. Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: