Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Electronic Drum Sets for Dummies (well, at least one..) - Drum Solo Artist

February 23, 2019, 04:18:37 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Electronic Drum Sets for Dummies (well, at least one..)  (Read 11655 times)
TDGuitarJ729

TDGuitarJ729

View Forum Profile
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »

Hellooo,

I just now registered to this site/community and I have yet to see if it's worth adding to my favorites.  Tongue So I'm hoping for a helpful response to convince me.

Anyway, I'm a college student studying in Herzliya, Israel. I live in a tiled and spacious student house with such crazy acoustics, I couldn't drop a PIN without my roommates hearing it on the other side of the house. I'm not dropping so many pins around, so that isn't too much of a problem... however, I really really really really really want a drumset. I had a friend's for a few weeks back in the States before I moved, and I really started getting into drumming. I don't have to tell you all what a kick ass feeling it is to drum...

So naturally I figured that the only way I'd be able to get a drumset is if it's an electronic one. Only problem is: I don't know squat about electronic drumsets. I've been looking at the selection of drumkits on ebay, and most of them are brand new deals. My humble student's budget only allows for something around the $300 area (although I may be persuaded to go higher if there's a quality concern.)

So where do I start? What sets are good, what sets aren't so good? Which companies should I go for? What's a good drumset for a good price? Do I need a drum amp specifically, or will any amp do? Would I be better off investing a little more for sufficient quality?

Huh

Thank you in advance to any drum aficionados willing to offer advice.

- Ron B.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:17:21 PM »

Since you stressed that " couldn't drop a PIN without my roommates hearing it on the other side of the house" then I am going to recommend the softer surface pads for your practice.  These are those like this link shows:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-TD-5-Electronic-Drum-Kit-7-Pads-Stand-Percussion_W0QQitemZ230200592579QQihZ013QQcategoryZ64382QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With a budget of $300, you will have to look for a used set.

Do I need a drum amp specifically, or will any amp do?
You should be able to hear the sounds with just a set of good headphones when you practice.  If you use it live as a drumset, then yes you will need an amp or be able to run it into a PA system.

Good Luck with your drumming pursuits!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:00:15 AM »

Yes, since we are talking Ebay, you can find a whole list of electronic drums and particularly Roland V Drums in 2 convenient locations right here:

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/drumstore/Electronic_Drums.php
http://www.drumsoloartist.com/drumstore/Roland_V_Drums.php

Just thought you should know. Wink
TDGuitarJ729

TDGuitarJ729

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:22:31 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

A quick note on the amps - would I need to get a specific amp for drums, or would a regular guitar amp work?

And also about brand:

The main models I'm seeing are the YOKI DD608 and DD908, and the OSP DD-502. Anyone have any comments or feedback on the quality of these brands? Suggestions?

Thanks again.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »

RE:  A quick note on the amps - would I need to get a specific amp for drums, or would a regular guitar amp work?

For silent practice, which is what I understood was your objective, the kits with the softer rubber surface pads and a set of headphones is ALL you need.

If you are now speaking of live performance uses too.......running an electronic kit through a PA system is much better than through a guitar amp.   An amp designed for keyboards or bass will have speakers with a lower sound frequency capability than an amp with guitar speakers.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »

TD,

If you are still out there, what did you get?

Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: