Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Drum Pioneers.....Who influenced you the most? - Drum Solo Artist

April 13, 2021, 09:59:09 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Drum Pioneers.....Who influenced you the most?  (Read 33771 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:49:52 AM »

In my blog "DRUM PIONEERS" http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/blog/view/id_72/
I discuss the tremendous impact some of the early drum set innovators had on our present day drumming.

I know there are other "drum pioneers" (for lack of a better phrase at the moment) who have inspired us with their ideas too.  I know, for example, that John Guerin's drumming on the TOM SCOTT AND THE LA EXPRESS recording titled "Tom Cat" was a big turning point for me.  It completely changed my whole antitude about drumming.

What about you guys?  What influences or recording was the TURNING POINT for your drumming endeavors.  What inspired you to stop just messing around with drum beats, and to really start developing an actual musical style?

It's open mic time now  Cheesy.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Ani-mal

Ani-mal

Animal on the loose! film at 11:00

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »

In the beginning there was Buddy Rich for me...

Later Keith Moon.....then Neil Peart

And lately, Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini seem to be my two biggest influences.

And the great thing about being into Portnoy is the guy is a work-aholic! He is in atleast 3 projects at a time so there is alway a lot of stuff out there to check out.  Cheesy
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

Hi,

I would like to say Buddy Rich, but he wasn't the drummer who first influenced me.  When you listen to the radio you hear a lot of different music that probably influences you, but you don't know who the people are (I talking about when you are just a young kid and you don't know anything).   So I don't know who those people were.

The first drummers that really influenced me a lot, and I'm going to have to list two since I was listening to them at the same time were Max Roach and Art Blakey.

At that time, (I hate to say this) I had never heard of Buddy Rich.  My friends and I were just listening to modern jazz.  Mostly that was bebop with Parker and Dizzy and so on.  Blakey and Roach also played with lots of dudes like Thelonius Monk, Sonny Rollins, and many others.  Also, Blakey's Jazz Messangers were part of my staple too.

There was Shelly Manne next.  Very smooth and tasteful.  After that it was Gene Krupa.  Of course there were many others, but those were the big ones in the beginning.

Don

vicfirth

vicfirth

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »

Well to be honest with you, it was my friend Avery who got me started in playing drums. After that I wanted to see more so I looked up Peart and he has influenced me a great deal also.

Class of 2011
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »

Love Peart! - In my opinion, he is one of the greatest!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »

Neal Peart is a outstanding musician.  He is Neal Peart the renowned drummer, the song writer, the author of books, the Solo Artist, the DVD artist, the clinician, the Sabian cymbal designer, a modern music trend setter, and and an interesting philosopher.  He is also, the recipient of numerous awards and honors in the world-wide music scene.

Neal Peart is perhaps the “Gene Krupa” of modern day drummers.

Cool

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
FlamDragFighterPilot

FlamDragFighterPilot

Drums are like women....Made for BANGIN!!!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »

I would have to say: Peart, Copeland, Bonham, Moon, and Carey from my early days.

Most recently: Ronald Bruner Jr., Chris Pennie, Thomas Pridgen, Gil Sharone, and Carter Beauford.

I listen to too many people to narrow it down more than that. hahaha.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »

I've been at this for a long time and there have been many influences along the way.  My latest, and I'm surprised I haven't seen his name on any lists here, is Carter Beauford.  Short on time here at work but I will elaborate later on earlier influences.

Oops, just re-read the list above and I stand corrected, and edited...as such.
Darren1234
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »

In the beginning there was Buddy Rich for me...

Later Keith Moon.....then Neil Peart

And lately, Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini seem to be my two biggest influences.

And the great thing about being into Portnoy is the guy is a work-aholic! He is in atleast 3 projects at a time so there is alway a lot of stuff out there to check out.  Cheesy

Buddy rich was a huge influnce on me when i was younger!
right now im really interested in the drummer from the locust

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O_LF02OI7zY&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/O_LF02OI7zY&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »

Buddy Rich!!! - Obviously!  Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O_LF02OI7zY&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/O_LF02OI7zY&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »

Budy Rich
Keith Moon
Neil Pert
T Monk

AustinKnight

AustinKnight

Live to Drum, Drum to Live..

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »

So i started off listening to blink 182..and memorizing travis barkers moves...and started liking him due to his technique..the stuff he plays really isnt hard...its just how he plays that made it for me!

Then I saw some buddy rich, neil peart..mike portnoy.

Now just see'in how other peopl react when i play influences me to keep playing! Cheesy
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »

To reinterate the premise of the original thread....what influences or recording was the TURNING POINT for your drumming endeavors.  What inspired you to stop just messing around with drum beats, and to really start developing an actual musical style?

Want to hear something kind of funny? I remember listening to a lot of recordings in the sixties, and there were a lot of bands getting airplay with songs that I really liked.  It was years later when I learned that Hal Blaine was actually the one playing drums on so many of those recordings.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
patafla
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:39:09 AM »

I would say Mitch Mitchel, Mark Craney and Barrymore Barlow.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

No arguments to bear here so far.  I think Barrymore Barlow is a good addition...another mega-talent I am reminded of too is Clive Bunker.   I just wonder how much Ian Anderson influenced the percussion compositions of their work with him.  I have seen Ian play timpani drums, crash cymbals, piano and a few other percussion instruments.  He seems to enjoy doing it quite a bit. Wink
buzzman

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »

well i must say that when i first started playing oh so long ago it was all john bonham for me.and then i discovered ian paice and bill ward as well.keith moon and cozy powell also.then later on i stumbled acroos neil peart.also joey kramer and peter criss were early  influences.now i really like carter beauford and mike portnoy.also buddy rich louie belson nicko  mcbrain  tommy aldridge butch trucks scott travis the list goes on and on.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

Welcome Buzzman...an admiral list of drummers you have there.  I hope you have taken a chance to check out the sight, you'll find quite a few interesting posts and lots of information provided by, and maintained, by some talented and devoted staff members.  Its good to hear from you and I'm looking forward to what you may have to add.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »

Lots of really cool comments are coming in.  Keep it going!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
pacrat87

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »

as a young teen in the early 70's my parents listened to country music only.so my first taste of a real drummer was CHARLIE MARTIN (Bob Seager & silver Bulit live .) My sister bought me the  8 track that changed my outlook of drums.

and RONNIE TUT (TCB band Elvis) watching him play live and take his cues from Elvis and make the fills fit in the song is still very impresive.
Randy
DrumMan

DrumMan

DrumMan aka Frank Johnson

View Forum Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 04:50:29 PM »

Don Brewer of Grand Funk-then Billy Cobham(spectrum) then Carl Palmer(ELP)after that,a few more:)
Furdrummer

Furdrummer

Furdrummer's profile

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Louie Bellson influenced me the most. I loved his solos and double bass work. He's the reason I play a double bass set.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: