Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Drum Thrones - Drum Solo Artist

February 23, 2019, 03:29:59 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Drum Thrones  (Read 15349 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »

I seen many drummers lately using thrones that THEY ADMITTED did not feel comfortable.

After thinking about that a bit, I wrote a blog tonight about that.

Other than economic hardship.....why sit your bottom on a throne that doesn't feel good?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »

Okay, first I'll correct my grammar from the post above.

IT SHOULD HAVE READ:

I've seen many drummers lately using thrones that THEY ADMITTED did not feel comfortable.

After thinking about that a bit, I wrote a blog tonight about that.

Other than economic hardship.....why sit your bottom on a throne that doesn't feel good?

THE REFERENCED BLOG IS AT:

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/blog/view/id_68/

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:55:47 PM »

Thanks Ken, you Rock! - Aren't you always?? Shocked
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »

I'll get back to the question, "Are you comfortable with your current drum throne"?

I realize some drummers may have a throne that has several years of use now.  Is the old throne causing problems because of the cushioning on the seat area being worn?  Or is it slipping or not a stable, etc.  Years ago I had an old hydralic throne that would suddenly slip........man did that cause problems!)

Some drummers may have a throne that they absolutely LOVE.   Grin
If so, I'd like to hear what model that is and why they like it so much.

I'll go first.
I currently use the Roc-N-Soc MS "Manual Spindel" Saddle Thrones.  I like the "hugger" saddle seat  (the smaller size saddle option)  because it doesn't put pressure on my lower thighs.  I also prefer the extra comfort of the shaped cushion and cloth seat covering.  It packs away easily and has proved to be very stable for my needs.

In spite of all the information a catalog or a website might provide about a product like drum thrones, it is comments from actual users that give us the absolute best feedback. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:24:04 AM »

Hi,

I have to agree.  Nothing worse than playing a gig on a drum throne that isn't comfortable.  Also, I've had that problem before.  The elevator drum seat.  Suddenly, right in the middle of a song, it's like you're on an elevator slowly descending to the basement.  Talk about emabarrassing. 

I like a seat that's comfortable but yet firm.  Some seats are so soft I feel like I'm on the living room sofa and it's hard to stay balanced sometimes.

I used to use an old Gretsch drum throne that was nice and easy to set up.  It was just a plain old flat round seat with a little cushion on top.   I like it a lot.  I don't have it anymore.   Now, I'm playing in Tokyo.  All the clubs have drum sets.  So, I just use the ones at the clubs.  They are all different.  So, I am constantly using Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, and whatever else is at the club I'm playing at. 

Generally, after using many different kinds of drum sets, I've found them to all be very similar.  Actually, once I start playing, I can't tell the difference between a Pearl and a Yamaha.  Probably because they are all good sets, and I always set them up the same way before I play.   The only challenge is tuning them, since the drummers who have used them before me never tune them.  I bring my own twin pedals though.

After using so many different seats, and I can't remember what they are, about all I can say is if they are too soft, they are difficult for me to use.  It's like traction.  When I'm pushing those double basses and fills at the same time, I need to stay firm and balanced.  The softer the seat, the less control I have.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »

I've tried different thrones, probably at least one of every kind you can think of.  Stability is the key to the right throne.  I have found nothing better than my big footed, double braced, tractor style seated, perfectly padded ROC & SOC throne with the padded, adjustable back support.  This thing when on my gig carpeting is like it is welded down, and all the adjustments remain where you put them through the whole gig.  Fine tuning the hight adjustment is a matter of standing up and spinning the seat.
vicfirth

vicfirth

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »

That makes sence

Class of 2011
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:33:21 AM »

Already been said, but you have to be comfortable.  If you are not seated well, the discomfort will refelct in your playing.

rdrummer322

rdrummer322

Jim Tyler

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

I understand the comfort of a saddle throne, used one for years. There was one problem I had though, so now I've gone back to just the basic round throne. I would often do solos that would take me out of the seat, walking around the drums, etc. Many times when I was ready to sit back down, the saddle was not in the position I wanted. I would have to use one hand in the middle of the solo to move the seat so it was pointed in the right direction.
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »

After years of using the worst drum throne on the planet. It had become little more than a piece of foam on a piece of particle board with ripped up pleather covering part of the seat. One day I looked at it and said "what the hell is wrong with me ?" I drove to SA where they were having a sale ( I lucked out) I purchased a Tama Motorcycle style seat. What a difference. I recently replaced it with a beautful seat from Taye. Comfort is one of the most important factors when playing. A throne is often the most overlooked piece of drum hardware out there. You can get a really nice throne for less than $150.00 If you ain't got save up for it. It's well worth it.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »

IT_DUCE.................I certainly agree.  The drummer's throne is his very foundation.  Anything not comfortable is just a pain in the butt.   Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
yamaharec

yamaharec

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »

I'm firm believer that the throne is the most important piece in any drum set-up!I have a Rock'n'Soc!!I've had for 5 yrs !!I'll never buy anything else throne wise!!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »

Has anyone tried the Carmichael design throne or set?  How is that working for you?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: