Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Good jazz/rock cymbals. - Drum Solo Artist

November 14, 2019, 08:56:30 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Good jazz/rock cymbals.  (Read 4839 times)
hilheartssp

View Forum Profile
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:26:05 AM »

Is there a specific brand of cymbals that anyone would recomend? Im lookin for jazz/rock-like cymbals. i like that bright sound on high hats but a semi-muddy yet bright sound on the ride and im neutral on crashes. but I was hoping for advice on brands of cymbals.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »

The best advice I could offer is to take your OWN STICKS and go to a major drum shop with lots of (I mean hundreds, or even a thousand) cymbals in stock.  You can play several combinations until you find what your mind's "ears" are searching for.

A second suggestion is to access the websites of the various companies (Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, etc.) on the internet.  Each major company has sound samples that you can play.  Listen to them through a good quality set of headphones, and you can get an idea of the sound qualities that each series, model, and size exhibits.   However, I still HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you drive to a major drum shop to do your final selections.

You said "jazz/rock-like cymbals" which, indeed means something very specific to you, but in all honesty....doesn't provide me a general idea at all, because Jazz and Rock model cymbals are very different.  Did you perhaps mean "multi-purpose"?  That just makes the point that only YOU know what you are searching for.

Some of the cymbal company internet sites also have good product descriptions and other aides to help describe the music genres and the volume levels their cymbals are most suited for.

You might also listen to some concert recordings of drummers that have cymbal sounds that you like (because they often vary cymbals a lot in the studio).  The more high profile drummers will likely have their live performance cymbal set-ups displayed on the website of the brand they endorse.

I hope some of that was helpful. Cool

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: