Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Understanding Time Signatures and sounds - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2021, 10:16:11 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Understanding Time Signatures and sounds  (Read 6026 times)
joshar

View Forum Profile
« on: September 11, 2007, 03:04:15 PM »

Hello Smiley,
first.. i want to say I do not play drums, but I make beats and I'm trying to get a better understanding to how things are arranged so I know what goes best when I'm making the drum section of the beat.

I'm having problems understanding time signatures. I know there are more than 3 but the 3 I am concerned about are:

4/4, 3/4, and, 6/8.
On a producing forum a forum member said,
"4/4: kick - hat - snare - hat - kick - hat - snare - hat
6/8: kick - hat - hat - snare - hat - hat - kick - hat - hat - snare - hat - hat
3/4: kick - hat/snare - snare - kick - hat/snare - snare (waltz rythm)"

I'm going to arrange my questions in numbers so it would be easier to answer.
1. Is this how it is for all 4/4,6/8,3/4 music? or does it change up?
2. In music there are a ton of different kicks/snares/hats/etc.. how do I recognize these? I don't want my music to sound off because I put a snare where a hat is suppose to be.
thanks for reading Smiley
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:12:21 PM »

Sorry, but I am having problems understanding your questions, - could you rephrase them?

PS: in general to produce a professional "drum beat" you dont have to be a good drummer, but you mast have an extensive knowledge of the instrument in order to be able to "produce" a drum beat, breaks, etc...

Time signatures are a different territory which I am afraid I would not be able to explain via a forum, - again it is a basic musical knowledge that you simply Mast have in order to produce anything musical.

Hope that helps.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: