Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Copyright - Pirating - Drum Solo Artist

April 16, 2021, 01:42:55 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Poll
Question: Do you think it's ok to pirate music for your personal use?
Yes - 2 (50%)
No - 2 (50%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Copyright - Pirating  (Read 13691 times)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« on: May 27, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »

With the release of the new Pirates of the Caribbean film out, i thought this was quite a relevant topic  Wink

Piracy...i.e. The illegal copying and/or distribution of media covered by a copyright law.

This is a big topic, so I'm going to narrow it down to simply downloading music for free, and copying your mates CDs for yourself. As musicians, i think our opinions are more important than most when it comes to this.
So do you think its ok to download music and copy CD's of other musicians music? Do you even do it yourself?

PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:34:36 PM »

With the release of the new Pirates of the Caribbean film out, i thought this was quite a relevant topic  Wink

Did I miss something?? - What are you talking about?
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:48:50 PM »

Well...pirates of the caribbean 3 has just come out, no? Pirates? This is a topic on Pirating? Just a lil jokey link between the to, that's all  Roll Eyes
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »

Ah... Grin Excuse my stubbornness than  Cheesy - I thought you are talking about something different...

To the subject:

It is a VERY ... Should I say "Tricky" or "Thin Line" or "Everyone does it but No-one admits it" subject...

I think that we do need to support the music/bands that we like by purchasing their music. Because if we dont, the band you like may simply not release the next album cause they (their company) will not have the money to budget the recording/distribution/promotion etc. it is just as simple as that!

On the other hand... most people do have a music collection in their iTunes with over 5 - 10 and some even 50 THOUSAND songs ! And judging by the current prices of $1 (US) per song that will cost a fortune to assemble a library of such caliber... (Personally I doubt that anyone out there will spend $50000 on an Itunes music collection while driving a 10-12 year old Ford that has a value of around 700 to 2000 dollars!

So here you go, thats my thoughts on the subject...
Black_Violin

Black_Violin

Paganini XXI Century

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 09:39:31 PM »

Pasha is smart.

Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:45:49 PM »

It's true, he's smarter than the average bear, boo-boo.

To the topic.

I think that taking a few songs from the net is harmless. I can see it being harmful if there are 50 000 songs on your computer. That's alot of dough out the window for the band.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 01:56:07 PM »

Yes, very true.

As your on the subject of the cost of albums, how do you think the average teenager can cope? (teenagers and early 20 year olds being the biggest market for new music, and having the lowest average income). I know myself (being 17) that with my large taste in music, there is absolutely no chance i could afford the new and old albums of the artists i like.

How do you think the record companies should deal with piracy? It isn't a problem that's going away, and i believe its an increasing problem, because fans keep finding new and easier ways to get hold of tracks.

A theory that I'm aware of, is to use the music like promotional material, advertising if you like. Have it free (or at a much lower cost), and the bands get there money from gigs (which will get bigger audiences since more people have listened to the music).

Do you think that would work?
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »

I agree, but also agree that unless we pay something, there will be no albums to pirate from Smiley  So a little here a little there, then buy one or two for good measure.

rdrummer322

rdrummer322

Jim Tyler

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 06:55:03 PM »

I have a moral problem with this myself. I play actual songs, note for note on my set. Since I do solo clinics, mostly for schools, I just right it off as "for educational purposes only". I know that if I made a CD or DVD for profit, and I use, for example,  my drum solo arrangement of Pink Floyd's "Money", there will be someone to pay, unless I am granted permission first. But that is the hassle. Who to ask?  The original composers, who probably think it's cool that someone made a drum solo out of their song and would have no problem. or the suits from BMI who are looking only at the legal aspects and percentages?
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:57:29 PM »

Good points

Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »

Hi,

I don't copy songs from the internet.  If I like a band then I want to have their cd.  I'll try to find it second hand.  Or search the internet were I can buy it cheap.   

But, I think copying music is ok.  Actually, it's a way to get your music in front of people who would never listen to it otherwise.   In the end, real musicians want people to listen to their music more than anything else.   If people like their music they'll buy it. 

Of course muscians need and want money just like anyone else, but preventing people from copying the music is no assurance that people will rush out and buy millions of cds especially at the record company's inflated and bloated prices.

Don
paperdice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

pay for the stufff
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: