Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Could someone with pearl Optimounts try this? - Drum Solo Artist

October 20, 2020, 07:14:29 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Could someone with pearl Optimounts try this?  (Read 10321 times)
djembeing

View Forum Profile
« on: May 23, 2007, 04:25:24 AM »

I'm looking for a way to mount a tom or two on my bass drum without changing the drums.  My rogers kit has these "swiv-o-matic" mounts that are somewhat outdated.  I had the idea to put one of those pearl optimount tom suspension units on top of my bass drum so it would work to hold a vertical mount.  I just need to know if any one the optimounts might fit onto the tension rods of a 22" bass drum (10 lugs on each side)
So my request if for someone with a 22" inch bass drums that has 10 lugs, and has those optimount tom suspension things to see if one of them might fit.   
I just need a tom mount that's a little more sturdy than the 40 year old "swiv-o-matic" system I have.

thanks
hope someone can help me.
dave
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

Why not to try it out at your local drum shop?? - I mean if it fits or not...
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 05:33:25 PM »

I really couldn't tell you if the Optimounts will fit every drum or not, but as Pasha said, give it a go. But Optimounts are classed as spare parts for Pearl drums, and spares are pretty expensive.

An alternative is Rims.
(Website)
They will fit any drum. I don't know what there prices are like though.

djembeing

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:39:24 AM »

I don't think the rims would work because it would not work on the bass drum.  I want to use the tom mount on the bass drum.  then run a vertical post to put the tom onto(using maybe a rims mount).  but the key here is making a sturdy up to date tom mount on my bass drum without drilling.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »

ahh, now i see what your doing...no, the rims wouldn't work.

And thinking about it, im not sure the optimounts would work either. They are designed to take weight from one drum and in one direction (top), but if you mounted 2 toms on it, you would have nearly twice the weight, and it would be free to move and tilt in any direction. It would lead to some very unstable toms. Nice idea tho  Wink

I think your best bet is you use a tripod stand, but not have the toms over the bass drum. 

Acctually, i think the top line of Sonor drums have a clever bass drum, tom mounting system that doesn't drill into the shell...i'll try and dig it up for you.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: