Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

How many cymbals? - Drum Solo Artist

July 18, 2019, 09:27:00 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Poll
Question: How many?
1-3 - 2 (6.5%)
3-5 - 6 (19.4%)
5-7 - 8 (25.8%)
7-10 - 7 (22.6%)
10-15 - 4 (12.9%)
15-20 - 3 (9.7%)
Tons - 1 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1] 2
 Print 
Author Topic: How many cymbals?  (Read 33680 times)
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:46:47 PM »

I have two rides, a china, a crash, a splash, and a hi-hat. So, that's six in total. How about you?

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »

I have 12 Cool
GretschCB0

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 08:59:40 PM »

5..good enough yeyuhhh! Smiley
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:15:29 PM »

Excellent! What brands do you guys use?

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »

hats, ride, crash and china (only just recently got that). I wouldn't mind a second crash and a spash. That probably would do me...maybe a zil-bell too.
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »

Zil-Bells SUCK. Most of them sound terrible, and they're only good for fast metal. Just my oppinion. I admire you. You only need four. A little off topic but I think it's dumb that us non professional drummers spend all of our money on cymbals and drums, and as soon as the famous people get rich enough to buy their stuff they get it all for free!

PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 01:14:02 AM »

A little off topic but I think it's dumb that us non professional drummers spend all of our money on cymbals and drums, and as soon as the famous people get rich enough to buy their stuff they get it all for free!

Agreed that SUX! Sad
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:41:11 PM »

Zil-Bells SUCK. Most of them sound terrible, and they're only good for fast metal.
You think? I'm quite partial to real deep 'bell' sounding bells. I might just be better off getting a ride with a hot bell on. Would save me another stand at least.
Thats one thing that bugs me. You see a nice cymbal you like, and say 'i would really like that, and i have the money for it', and then you realise you need to add at least another 50 for a stand! Makes me tempted to get a rack.

Quote from:  Little drummer
A little off topic but I think it's dumb that us non professional drummers spend all of our money on cymbals and drums, and as soon as the famous people get rich enough to buy their stuff they get it all for free!
That is a bit annoying, but i try and remember that most of the 'famous' drummers out there aren't rich, but only earn average pay. I would think of it more as a reward for getting to that stage in the music industry. I wouldn't say no to a free kit, some cymbals and free sticks though! Damn...that's what dreams are made of...
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »

Yeah, I think it would be cool if you could walk into a drum store and all the clerks know your name.

Devildrummer

Those who wander are not lost

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 10:50:53 AM »

I have two rides, two crashes, a china, a splash, and Hi hats.
I'd love to have more.
I love cymbals!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:09:57 PM »

Well, I'm fortuate set to have a bunch of cymbals to choose from.  The sizes and weights change for the venue and context, but I usually set up:
  • Hi Hats
    a Left Crash
    a Splash
    a Ride
    a smaller thinner Fast Crash
    a Right Crash
    and often a China
Let's see that's 6 or 7.  They are all Paiste Cymbals

Some of you were talking about favorites, so I'll share a couple of mine with you.

One of my favorite cymbals is a 22" Paiste Signature Thin China with six rivets.  It doesn't have the heavier China typical raw and brash sound.  It's a rather low swish-type cymbal sound.  In the right musical settings I can use it for ride and crash purposes.

Another favorite is a 20" Piaste Signature Dry Crisp Ride.  It's for low to medium volume playing, and man what a beautiful feel and interesting overtone series it has.  Shimmering with personality.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
nickg

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »

Excellent! What brands do you guys use?

i've been using nothing but Paiste exclusively since about 1986 myself. a variety actually, including 2002, 3000, Sigs, Sound Creation, Alpha, Rude, & Rude 1000
vicfirth

vicfirth

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »

I like to have at least 1 china, 3 crashes, 1 ride, 2 splashes, and a high hat ...so thats 8

Class of 2011
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:10:42 PM »

I'm using 18 right now. I have 4 splashes, 2 rides ( left and right side) 2high hats ( left and right) 8 crashes and 2 chinas. I like cymbals. I don't need that many but it's a blast jammin on my kit. Soooo many different sounds. my cymbal palette is a plethora of sounds
Tl3319

Tl3319

just love playing

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »

I have 1 high hat, 2 crashes, 1 splash, 1 china, 2 rides. Mostly Zildjians but my main ride is a Paiste Smiley
DannyMeazell

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »

I have a 24" Danny Meazell Signature Series Hand Hammered Turk Dark Horse  Dry Raw Ride, a 20" Danny Meazell Signature Series Crash, a 18" Hand Hammered Turk Crash, 16" Zildjian K Dark Med Crash, 16" Med Armand Zildjian Crash, Heavy 16" Armand Zildjian Crash, 12" Sabian AA Splash Med, 1 Pair of 14" Zildjian Z Heavy Hi Hats, 1 14" Pair Zildjian K Custom Dark Remote Hi Hats. For now. Will be adding at least 2 more 18" Custom made by Master Cymbal Maker Mike Skiba and probally 1 or 2 19" crashes ans a China or two. All my cymbals are custom sound matched to each other. 
rdrummer322

rdrummer322

Jim Tyler

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »

That really sounds like a hard hitting, fantastic cymbal set up Danny! They must sound really good! I have more of a smaller mix myself, but I don't play as hard as you do.. Very nice set up!!
tanaaneimennauimaan

tanaaneimennauimaan

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »

I like 1 china, 2 crashes, 1 ride, 2 splashes and 1 bell
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 10:39:16 PM »

I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread yet.

I really enjoy my 20' Zildjian medium ride, the 18" medium crash, the 16" thin crash, a 10" SPLASH and 14" hi hats that are all Zildjian.  I have a custom 12" Paiste ping/crash (my son's creation), a 14" Wuhan China crash that my wife doesn't like, and still trying to decide on which hi-hats to go with for the right side for secondaries.  I'm sure there will be more...I love cymbal variety.

Just one question...Danny Meazell, is that really you?
smulligan28

smulligan28

Membranophonatic

View Forum Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »

i like to keep it simple with three cymbals, count em, three.  !4 inch sabian hi-hats, 14 inch crash, and a 20-inch ride.  they're not of the best quality, but they've lasted me for a good two years or so.
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »

I Like variety I also realize there's more than 3 cymbal companies out there. Currently I have
Zildjian :
14" new beat HH
15" Thin crash
16" Custom A crash
18" Medium crash
19" medium crash
6" splash
20" Custom A projection ride
20" Custom A ping ride
 Sabian :
14" AAX stage HH
16" AA crash
14" AA crash
Meinl :
MB20 16" Med/hvy crash
Mb20 18" Medium Crash
Wuhan :
8,10 & 12" Traditional splash
8,10 & 12" S series splash
16" medium S series crash
17" medium S series Crash
20" med/hvy Rock series Ride
13" S series HH
12 " China
16" china
Diril :
14" D series thin Crash
16" ICE series medium Crash
10" D series splash
I will be adding more Diril as the budget allows it. I also have several Silken's on order according to my tracking info they should be here Tuesday. I should point out I use dual rides and dual HH's ( remote style of course).
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »

Duce...you have more brass than the entire Armed Forces!  Do you lease this stuff out...or what? Just kidding, but honestly I wouldn't want that much to choose from in a gig...or have to set that much up.   BUT...don't get me wrong, I know when someone has such an elaborate set up it is usually for good reason and good percussionarianism...so fly with it bro, there's no better feeling than doing what you want, and  when you want to do it.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »

It was my understanding that the thread was polling how many cymbals you would typically set up for a performance.  I didn't list my locker's inventory, but rather, I responded with the max number that I actually use.

I suppose the thread originator needs to clarify this.  Was it how many many do you own?  Or was it how many do you use when performing?

For some drummers both numbers may be the same.....but for others it may be very different.

i.e. Bass drums four....but I only use one at a time  Smiley

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »

All very good points there Ken.  I've listed all that I own, which is the same as the list of all that I use.  Another list I could make is all that I can borrow, but then my "all that I use" list would have to change.  So I don't borrow any.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »

Tomm,

You've got the essence of my point.  Your "what I use" list and your "what I have" list would be the same.  For some others, however, we can agree that there might be a distinct difference between their typical set-up and their whole "inventory".  It seemed to me that the responses in this thread have some from both perspectives.

For example:
My basic set-up is hi-hats, left crash, ride, and right crash.  But I do very often add to that basic set-up for performances that need more cymbal sounds.  For me, the cymbal sizes and weights vary according to the venue and genre. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: