Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Back to basics, kinda - Drum Solo Artist

April 13, 2021, 01:00:24 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Back to basics, kinda  (Read 5734 times)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« on: June 22, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »

I was playing to today, and just trying to recreate the opening beat in Incubus's "are you in". But to my suprise, i couldnt get a nice clean bass drum hit.

I dont do lessons. Ive only ever done two, and the rest ive taught myself, and fast bass drumming i thought i had sorted out.

But i was getting stuck. i was fine when i tryed just getting a fast consistant hit when only useing the bass and not hitting anything else, but when i tried to put the beat together again, i would fail at it.

I dont know anything about notation (sp?) but ill try my best to explain the bit that im getting stuck on for those who havnt heard the song im talking about.

It a pretty standard beat. The closed hi-hat is being hit 8 times in a bar. The bit im stuck on is just hitting the bass twice in between to hi-hat hits.

It should be easy, but i keep getting a really weak first hit and a strong second, or i do 3 very weak hits in a row. Ive got the strength in my foot to do it because i can do much faster and stronger hits when not playing anything else.

All i no is that its a limb controlling thing, not a strength thing.

Anyone got any idea for solving this?

oldhacker

Drum Solo Artist !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 11:25:10 AM »

Granny - I'm not familiar with the song, but what you're describing is a fairly standard triplet pattern. My best advice is to practice it slow at first, concentrating on the technique part. Don't worry about the speed part until you get the entire triplet down clean. You didn't say, are you playing heel up or heel down? For fast patterns heel up is probably preferred. Try practicing with a metronome at a fairly slow BPM, in the 60 - 80 range, then work up 10 or 20 BPM at a time. It's incredibly boring and tedious, but there's no substitute for clean. You can also practice this as a snare-bass-bass triplet or pretty much any other combination of drums.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 03:19:59 PM »

I try to work heel down with most stuff because i want to work  that part of my leg. Im trying out a thomas lang sort of style (heel down for normal playing and heel up for accents) but i dont know if its working for me yet.

slow and steady. Yea, i know that, but im too stubbern and impatent to keep it going. But useing the metonome is a good idea. That should stop me getting quicker with my beat.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: