Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Cymbals - Drum Solo Artist

November 20, 2019, 09:48:24 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Cymbals  (Read 10615 times)
budiesel

View Forum Profile
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »

Anybody using Zildjian Custom A's? I'm thinkin about switching to those.  Right now I have Sabian Xs20 hats and crashes, AA ride and an old sabian rock crash.  Is it worth switching?
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:06:57 AM »

My personal opinion....

you use whatever sounds good to you. Or fits, with what youre playing. I've got different cymbals for all sorts of applications. I've got Zildjians, Sabians, a couple Meinls, and two small Wuhans.....

I've got a bunch o tunes I use That heavy 22" Sabian Ride of Neil Pearts. and some where I use a 20" semi thin Zildian ride...

the two cheapo Wuhans I got were on sale at GC....for dirt....one's a china and the other is a splash - they both have there places....

whatever floats your boat dude!

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
Tommystix

Tommystix

Tommystix Rox in Texas!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 07:03:46 PM »

right.. I use both sabians and zildjians.. New beat hihats and Rock crash zildjians, and sabian ride and china..
to me sabian is like zildjian.. it belongs to a former brother of zildjian family
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »

What kind of music are you playing? In a cover band situation, I don't think your cymbal selection is all that critical. In an original situation, where accents count, you need to play EVERTHING you can get your hands on. I mean that in the sense of: If your music store is is only carrying 2 types, find another music store that is having another. Travel, keep going to the next town, your best way is to be informed. As someone else said, let your ears be your guide.
mapexboy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:12:56 PM »

I have A's, Z's and K's.... depending on the situation each one is a great cymbal...

I have an A Custom Projection Ride 17".... man.... what a sweet ride... You shuold try that one.

Im hoping to get my hands on some A/Z 13" hi hats sometime... love that Crisp loud sound they have.
GretschCB0

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:27:15 PM »

20" A custom Ride..wishing it was a Ping Ride..18" Sabian AAX Dark Crash, 16' Paiste PST5..(going to be replaced with a 17/18" A custom projection crash hopfully,also a good beginner cymbal..better then the ZBT's personally) 13" A custom Hats, and a P.O.S. cymbal for a 'china'  Lips sealed (thinkin about a 16" Zildjian Oriental) thats my set up..lol
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »

I have a 20" (i think) A custom crash. I cant call it a bad cymbal. Actually, i cant call it a good cymbal, its awesome! Again, its up to your opinion, but the A Custom range seems to please a lot of people  Wink
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 11:08:37 PM »

What kind of music are you playing? In a cover band situation, I don't think your cymbal selection is all that critical.

I second that. It all depends what you're looking for. Sure they're GREAT quality but it all depends if you like the big metal friendly sound of the custom A's. If you like Jazz and Blues, then I seriously suggest going to bosphorus.

Just my piece.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »

He asked "Anybody using Zildjian Custom A's? I'm thinkin about switching to those.  Right now I have Sabian Xs20 hats and crashes, AA ride and an old sabian rock crash.  Is it worth switching?"

There are lots of brands and models out there today.  Choose cymbals that produce the sounds for the styles of music you perform.  With cymbals, unlike drums, we can not change the tunings......they are what they are.  Some tones and volume can vary with the types fo sticks we use, but beyond that....whatcha got is whatca got.  Wink

I use different cymbals (and drums) for arenas and large venues, than I do for a Jazz club. It's a matter of tone and volume.....blend or cut.  Plus I don't want to ever damage one of my personal favorites because it is too small or too thin to work in certain playing situations.

If your present cymbals sound good and feel good to you.....keep them.  If you find other cymbals that produce a sound that you need for your musical projects.....add them to your cymbal stash.  Eventually, you'll assemble an "aresnal" that will allow you to handle all of your musical situations without thrashing the cymbals that are too small or too thin for certain engagements.

Cymbals aren't like gilfriends.  You can leave one at home and go out with another one without risking future playing.    Grin

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
CANNYD

LOVE YOUR DRUMS

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 05:48:10 AM »

HI FOLKS, Im using zildjian k kustom darks hats , like butter!!...k crashes a dirty vintage cie vintage ride wich expresses so much in all music , ufip splashes.. and some zildjian  china`s... really good.. i reccoment the k custom darks as they will warm up the south pole, and are such a vocal leader in music.. ive played them all , but now i just use these babys in all gigs i play , which is mostly jazz, funk, latin with some pop rock and blues and they fith the lot.. i have found that for me other cymbals are just to loud to the touch, whereas the k  customs  talk to you with whatever weight control you use.
daz.

DAZ CANNY
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: