Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Drum sticks - Drum Solo Artist

August 03, 2020, 01:37:08 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 
Author Topic: Drum sticks  (Read 33562 times)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« on: June 15, 2005, 06:31:57 PM »

Probably one of the most obvious threads i could make.

What stick do you play with?

Not only the make of the stick, but the size as well.

Me: Zildjian Nylon 5A Black dip.
  and sometimes Flix rock Brushes
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 07:22:52 PM »

Pro Mark "Tommy Aldridge", Japan Oak, 2S

and I love it 8-)!
DoZa
Global Moderator

DoZa

THE Ultimate Drumming Machine

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 04:25:20 AM »

Shocked WOW!!! I though I am the only person who can stand with 2S size ...
Heelandtoe

Feel the power of the double bass....

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »

i use joey signiture aheads.
Amazing sticks and i dont care what u lot will say. Also they dont damage cymbals.

Wake up, donnie
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 01:36:51 PM »

I've tryed those sticks and im sure there is nothing wrong with them, but they just dont feel right to me, and feel is a lot when playing.
Evan_Barker

Drum Solo Artist

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 01:17:15 AM »

I like to use Pro Mark Mellenium 2 Pro Round 5B sticks and Travis Barker Sticks cuz they have good length and grip.
LZDrummer

Hammer of the Gods

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 12:51:12 PM »

i use currently vic firth 2B's.  i used to use 7A's cuz my hands are kinda small, but i broke them after like a week and i'd go through a couple pairs a month.  so i finally broke down and bought a pair of the larges they had in stock at my local music store.  i found an old pair of my 7A's and tried playing them and they felt so weird.  i also feel like i get a thicker sound out of bigger sticks.

"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit."
-John Bonham, May 31, 1948 -- September 24, 1980
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 02:04:43 PM »

Im thinking of keeping my 5A dips, but not having them nylon. That last 3 weeks, the nylon tip has split and no matter what strengh of glue i put on it, it keeps coming off.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 02:07:01 AM »

Personally I hate the "nylon tip sticks" because of that "coming off" factor...  :-/
marmalade

Slipknot rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »

Well i havent got a clue about the make of my sticks:P, but they are 5A size though. These sticks were just some cheap ones i bought at my local studios for 3 pounds :/. But does it really matter what type of sticks you have? Ive been wondering for awhile and the only sticks ive ever played with are 5A's.
 Also, where do you get Joey jordison sticks Tongue?

I like lemonade..it has lemons!
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 03:40:58 PM »

The type of sticks do matter. They matter on the sound you get from the drums, and the weight and size change how your hand strength develops.

Heavier sticks will tend to make a bigger noise, and your limited to how fast you can move them (if you dont have very strong hands), and the lighter sticks make not as pronounced sounds, but they are much more agile so you can move them quicker.

Really its up to preference and what feels comfortable, and the style of music you want to play.

Joey's sticks are AHEAD joey signature sticks. If you go in a drum shop and mention metal sticks, they should know your talking about ahead. Personally, ive never liked the metal sticks, but its up to you.
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 06:18:06 PM »

Smelly_Granny, you are the man!  Sometimes i will be be asked to or even suggest using wooden dowel brushes dependent on the type of song, venue and volume requirements.  I too like 5A's as a general use stick. Practice with Jo-Jo's or 2B's.

Diet's
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

Well i finally decided my sticks were dead.

The nylon wouldnt stop falling off one of them, the rubber dip had split in a couple of places on the other, and one had a huge crack in the taper.

So i got myself a new pair and this time they arnt nylon. Exactly the same as my last but wood tipped. Im quite suprised how big the tips are compared to the nylons, so im intereseted to here what they sound like. Im just carving in them now. I like to carve wacky patterns in my sticks.

oh and:  
Smelly_Granny, you are the man!
Thanks Smiley
Darkeagle22

I am Darkeagle....hear me....ummm....drum on stuff

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 10:50:29 PM »

I play with a pair of Vic Firth SD1 General sticks.  It's just your standard oval tip sticks....a bit thicker than 2B.  Oh yeah....and they have a wooden tip.  Perfectly balanced sticks...I love them!!  None better than good ol' Vic Firth.... Grin
TAMA_MAN7A

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 09:12:08 PM »

hey men i am new here, finally i found a place to talk about drums. so i look foward to talkin with you guys. i use AHEAD 7a's they are about the same as joeys sticks but they are alittle bit smaller. but i like em, i did use vics 7a but i broke apair like ever week.  Sad
Darkeagle22

I am Darkeagle....hear me....ummm....drum on stuff

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 12:25:08 AM »

hey men i am new here, finally i found a place to talk about drums. so i look foward to talkin with you guys. i use AHEAD 7a's they are about the same as joeys sticks but they are alittle bit smaller. but i like em, i did use vics 7a but i broke apair like ever week.  Sad

7A...eh?  That's pretty thin...dang....how big are your hands?  You must be a very young drummer...I couldn't imagine using sticks that thin....eeeeewwwww
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 01:56:57 AM »

Jazz or Lounge?
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 08:49:49 AM »

ok, well im not really happy with wood tips now. The tip as just snapped straight off one of my brand new pair that arnt 2 days old!

Nylons last longer than this.

ive just fixed it with glue. This better not happen again!
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 05:49:18 PM »

Has anybody tried those carbon fiber sticks?
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 02:01:30 AM »

ok, well im not really happy with wood tips now. The tip as just snapped straight off one of my brand new pair that arnt 2 days old!

Nylons last longer than this.

ive just fixed it with glue. This better not happen again!
That happens...
I mean sometimes you get what I call a defective stick!
Personally I change sticks every 5 - 7 sessions, and not because they break, but because they wear out and become too flexible compared to a new pair, but sometimes I do get a stick that will break (sometimes even in half) in the middle of the first session... Ok, I am a heavy hitter, but I am using 2s Japan Oak!!! Shocked
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 02:51:53 PM »

Personally I change sticks every 5 - 7 sessions
I wish i had the money to do that. I am low on money now, and i still havnt bought any Crimbo presents for anyone. Also, ive got to have money because im going on a few trips this Christmas.

Im desperatly trying to stick this together with glue! Compleatly covering it with PVA should work. If you get it right, the joint can be stronger than the wood itself. Im not sure ive got it right, but im trying my best so i dont have to get out anouther £7 for a new set of sticks. I desperatly need money!  Angry

Oh, and along with the set of sticks, i bought a bigdog practice pad. The things that you just put on your lap to do rudiments (sp?) on. Maybe i shouldnt have got that. Damn it.
TAMA_MAN7A

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 05:40:34 PM »

7A...eh?  That's pretty thin...dang....how big are your hands?  You must be a very young drummer...I couldn't imagine using sticks that thin....eeeeewwwww[/quote]

yea i am 14 but i started playin with 7a's when i started and i guess i just got use to it... but do u have any other size sticks that are good for metal and ill givem a try
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 05:59:40 PM »

lol, good for metal? The sticks you use are jazz. I guess if you were an extremly hard hitter and playing weak drum heads, then i guess you could use them for metal. Otherwise, many stick companies, do a rock/metal range. But i use 5A, and thats really where you can start. 5A or any bigger than that really.
minionhammy

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »

i use lars ulrich signature sticks, and im 15. i would recomend them for metal. (He is the drummer for metallica...i hope u know who they are) they are ahead, and have no idea what size, but ilike them.
bongo

I hate the rock on the radio

View Forum Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 01:24:51 AM »

I use Bobby Rocks for practicing at work, desk or drum pad because of their weight and size.  Otherwise I am the biggest stick slut.  When I was younger and stronger it was V.F. American Classic Rock.  Still love them but hickory makes them very inconsistent in weight and many are crooked and break easy.  Now I have been using Promark 747 Rock japanese oak otherwise they break like toothpicks.  I always prefer nylon tips, when they fall off and if I can find it, super glue fixes it.  I also agree w/pasha sticks do wear out they loose bounce and feel.  I have a couple nylon pair that I've had for years.  They are too hard to find otherwise I'd stay with em.  
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: