Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Tips for a beginner??? - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2021, 09:00:15 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Tips for a beginner???  (Read 6113 times)
ForAllTid

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »

Hey all,

I've been a guitarist for the last 10 years, and i'm currently in a band called Gates of Winter (www.gatesofwinter.com). all our gear is set up in my basement, and so, it seemed almost natural that i grew attracted to the drum kit. So i bought my own set of sticks as to not destroy my drummers set and i learned a few very basic rock beats.

I now find myself in a position where i want to get a kit for myself, and slowly build at it, but first i'd like to get a few more things down before I start, i have a long ways to go of course, but i eventually want to have the speed and versitility of drummers such as Yanic Bercier (http://www.yanicbercier.com/).

In any case, some things that i really need help with include Double bass technique, high-hat work, and snare technique, and i'm sure there are probably many other vital things i dont even know of.

Thanks alot for your time, I cant use whatever help i can get!!!

Lee

Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 10:18:40 AM »

Rudiments, rudiments, timing, rudiments, Stick control, rudiments, rudiments etc.

A stick will do what you tell it to do. Drumming isnt really about drumming...its about being able to control sticks and pedals so they do what you want them to do at the right time. This will be done best by learning your stick technique correctly and then doing lovely rudiments to a metronome, and apply them to your beats. Rudiments between your hands, rudiments between your feet, rudiments between your left hand and your right foot etc.

I cant really teach you stick technique over the net, i would suggest you talk to someone about that. Anouther drummer maybe, a teacher. You will be able to find stuff on google showing you, but they wont be able to tell you if your doing it right or not, and neither will I.

Pedal work is really about how you feel comfortable doing it. There are ways to do it faster, but it isnt a real science. i wouldnt worry about double bass too much if your just starting. You need to pretty solid with your beats and timing to get that right.

We have stick patterns on the top of this forum section, if you want a place to start.

Hope that helps, and good luck  Smiley
patafla
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »

I think you should check out teachers in your area. If you read music, buy some drum books. Bercier has some amasing chops but you may also want to check out some more mainstream doublebass stuff
ForAllTid

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »

thanks both for your advice. as much as i love rudiments Cry , i have been skimming over them, and learning some stick patterns. very cool stuff [smiley=cheesy.gif]
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: