Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Help me with some fills - Drum Solo Artist

May 28, 2020, 11:26:59 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Help me with some fills  (Read 9951 times)
hello_there

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: October 22, 2006, 12:35:09 AM »

Ok say ive been playing drums for about 2 years the past half year i havent had an instructor and ive noticed ever since then my fills slowly start sounding the same, or just kind of all get the same kind of things in them... any one able to help me with that?
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:58:36 PM »

just doing a fast thinking...(that like thinking then saying something but fast and not well thought out   Tongue  )

try learning different fills form your favorite band. idealy you learn those to put into your music or get an idea about new fills.
pearce_dan49

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »

i had the same problem, for me it was that i always ended up on my 14" floor tom, but i found that if i fought about a fill (making sure i didnt end on the floor tom) and then tried it,i much preffered it. Also i fink its important to remember to be creative.
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 09:54:32 PM »

Well it doesnt help us much when you just say "help me". Are we suposed to be handing you fills, or giving you boundaries to stick to be more specific

-Robbie

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
hello_there

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »

im using it broadly on purpose... any ideas im willing to take...
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 10:00:25 AM »

Ive noticed we get this question quite often...

to make fills, you need 3 things -

Unoriginality ~ Copy people! there is fills in all music you listen you (unless its acoustic guitar, or russian folk music). Find a fill, listen to it over and over and over again untill you can copy it very slowly on the kit. And already, you've got a new fill.

Imagination ~ Take those unoriginal ideas, and change them. Mix the fills around. Play 3 fills in a row. Also, spend an hour on your kit playing things you wouldnt normally do. Play slower, Try weird sticking parts around the drum etc USE YOUR HEAD!

Silence ~ Believe it or not, drums sound good quiet too. Fills dont need to be full of hitting things. Put gaps in your fill, dynamics, and small accents. It WILL sound better, and you can expand your list of fills, by acctully doing nothing.

Go for it!
chuppacabra

chuppacabra

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:32 AM »

i have been playing for about 3 years and i find it fun and creative adding the bass drum in-between strokes on your tom.
Tommystix

Tommystix

Tommystix Rox in Texas!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »

smelly granny, I concur!!!!
AaronBHagen
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:53:16 AM »

Yeah, so I had this problem a few years ago and this is what I did...

I took slips of paper and wrote on drumming apparatus on a piece of paper (crash on one, left riding tom on another etc...) and then I wrote another set of slips with the number 1-6.  I mixed them up in a cup and randomly selected however many I want and then the number to correspond to how many times I hit that drum apparatus.  I didnt follow exactly what I put...but I improvised and it gave me a lot of ideas.

Or...

You could just watch other drummers.  Listen to a lot of music and listen to the drums and understand what they're doing...then try replicating it yourself or changing it up.  It seriously helps!!
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: