Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Solos - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2021, 09:12:27 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Solos  (Read 8539 times)
JazzMan

Jazz it up.

View Forum Profile
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:15:14 PM »

Hey i'm an almost begineer drummer and have all my beats down tight but try as hard as i can i just can't get solos down. I was wondering if you guys could just show me a few tips. Thanks, JazzMan 8-)
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:18:12 PM »

if you read music try doing a bar at a time. if you don't have the music sheet or don't know how to read music, then try to get the basic idea and work your way to getting it. then there is that "P" word.....
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »

then there is that "P" word.....
Cor, i wander what that is  Roll Eyes

there are a few other topics on this if you do a search for it, but ill give a little idea on this..

First off, Solos dont need to be fast. Just keep a beat on your hihat pedal, and then start experimenting.

i would get fills sorted before you start on solos too. how are you on your fills?
patafla
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »

Well I would want you to go take some lessons, learn to read. However you can start out by tryeng to figure out the form of the song. Try singing the melody while listening to the song, see how that goes. Then count through the form, verse, bridge, chorus and determine the number of bars for each passage. You may probably end up with 12, 24 or a 32 bar form.

Next try playing the melody and express it on the kit, then apply some rudiments to it. Also you may want to try out four bar solos used for trading solos with the bass player for excamble. Just remember, your solo has to swing. If you can swing a solo even if it's simple, then you are half way there Roll Eyes
JazzMan

Jazz it up.

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:36:36 PM »

I already can read music, i'm taking lessons but my instructor dosn't care for solos he plays right through them. I've got fill down tight and I can do basic soloing but I just need to know some hints at how to make it totally rock out Grin. O and also is a double-bass pedal a must? :-/ Thanks JazzMan
patafla
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 08:22:08 AM »

ok try out those 8thnote triplet stickings, throw the singles on toms or cymbals reinforced by the bass drum, keep the doubles on snare.

rll rll rll rll
rrl rrl rrl rrl
rllrrl rllrrl
rrlrll rrlrll

mix them up with swung 8th notes as explained here

http://www.ellington-music.co.uk/graphics/WebFig1.gif

Keep the hi hat playing on 2 and 4 and concentrate on the melody of the song Smiley
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:23:06 PM »

O and also is a double-bass pedal a must?JazzMan

Looky here:
http://www.drumsoloartist.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1155781010
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: