Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Pawn Shops Are Shady!!!! - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2021, 10:11:55 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Pawn Shops Are Shady!!!!  (Read 10386 times)
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »

I went to 2 pawn shops to sell my Pacific drum set (shell pack only and still in the box never been used) and I know these are not the best drums. I was not looking for much but I did want about $150. I went to Guitar Center and they said they would give $60. The pawn shops I went to said they would only give $75-$100 and no higher. I know that is better than Guitar Center. The shady part is the pawn shops had drum sets in there for sell that had big dents and things and they were not name branded for $700. I was like come 'on, your going to sell drums that did not look good and probably did not sound good either for that high of a price. but you can only give $75- $100 and no higher for drums that do not have anything thing wrong with them.

They could have gave me $150 and then sold them for $300 or higher making a profit of about $150 or even higher.

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I don't know maybe I'm just mad.
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:48:41 AM »

If you have the time,energy,digital camera, etc

try to sell them on EBAY!

set a fair minimum amount that you'll take for them and there ya go!

Smiley

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »

yea...that or put it in your loacal newspaper or in the Classifieds section on this site.

If you sell it to anyone to sell, your not gonna get a fair deal cos they still have to make profit when they sell it.
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »

yea...that or put it in your loacal newspaper or in the Classifieds section on this site.

If you sell it to anyone to sell, your not gonna get a fair deal cos they still have to make profit when they sell it.

My dad works at a army base and there are a lot of people there and we put up signs saying they are for sell. hopefully that will work. Wink
DannyMeazell

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:33:16 PM »

Ragin,
           You have the right to be mad. I am glad you didn’t cave in to these As####es. They make their money off people who are mostly down on their luck. To me it is like kicking someone when they are down. But like everything there are exceptions to the rule.  No sense in giving your stuff away! Hold out for what they are worth and you will get it!
          There is only one pawnshop here I would buy from. He will not give you very much, but he turns around and sells it for very little. So if you are buying it is a great place to shop. One day I walked in looking to see if he had any cymbals. I had been diligently looking for an 18" Floor tom but didn’t figure I would find one in a pawn shop. To my surprise he had one stuck back in a corner and it had been stored in a barn or a shed and was dirty and covered with dirt-dobbers. I said “how much are you asking for the old floor tom?” He told one of the kids working for him , “pull it out and let him look at it!”  I could see it was just dirty but solid wood and looked to be in great shape. I said you still haven't told me how much~! He said “give me $50.00 and walk out the door.” I said "well crap!" He said "what?" I said I was just looking for cymbals and wasn't really planning on buying anything. "I want that floor tom but all I have in my pockets is $30.00." He said "$30.00 is all you have?" I said "yes" and pulled my pockets inside out to show him.  I was about to say “I will have go get the rest,” but before I could open my mouth he said “Ok Give me $30.00 and walk out the door.” I was almost shaking as I handed him the money. When I loaded it in the car I went back in and borrowed a broom to get all the spider webs out of the inside since it had a rim but there was not a bottom head.
              These 18” toms had been selling from $300 to $450 each on Ebay. I got home I carefully took it completely apart and cleaned it from top to bottom and a few days later I recovered it to match my kit. It was in excellent condition and not hurt at all. There are some great buys, but you have to be ready.  Since then I have added an even more rare 20" 70s Ludwig Floor tom too. I paid through the nose for that one though.  See my photos
Danny Meazell
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 02:25:30 PM »

Nice find!
Bargins come up everywhere, and the best places are the ones where they dont know a drum stool from a splash. But you've gotta know when its a good deal too.

Thankfully, drums are pretty easy to look at. If a cymbal is from a good make and has no cracks or keyholes, you can be pretty sure its a decent buy...and its pretty obvious when a drum is damaged.
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 12:27:19 AM »

the only thing is now with computers they seem to look things up a little. but you can still find used parts for cheap.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: