Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Double-Bass Pedal a Must?? - Drum Solo Artist

October 23, 2018, 11:52:21 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Double-Bass Pedal a Must??  (Read 15043 times)
Beverley_Drummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »

Just wondering if a double-bass pedal is a must for every drummer??
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:37:56 AM »

no its not for everyone, but ya know what, even at my age i'm learning something new in drumming every day, especially with a double bass....(i use a single bass drum with a slave pedal)

i've got an Axis long board set up I bought off of ebay last year, it was a good deal, I love em.

what i've checking out is Modern Drummer, September 2006 issue, page 118 - Jason Bittner's double bass crash course.... it starts off easy and works toward harder, you should check that out, see how you feel, and then maybe that will help you to make your decision.

Ya know, I use only the single (right) pedal over 80% of the time, who's to say you can't have a slave and use it only occasionally until you get used to it
 Smiley

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »

No, no no no. Definetly not. Drum heads are a must. If double bass was, they would come with kits as standard.

Double bass is advised if you are intrested in Heavy Metal, but there are plently of drummers in metal that dont have them.

Its compleatly up to you.
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:35:22 PM »

I rushed into getting a double bass pedal, now i want my single bass pedal back. i found out that i do not use it much. A lot of time when i look at the song i want to learn, they do not have a double bass in it.

so what i would do is look at the music you want to play and if a lot of the music you want to play has it, get it. if the music you want to play does not have it don't get it.
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »

Definatley not...If you think you need one and are under pressure dont be all it does is make drum beats makes more things to play with but if some one has an amazing drum set and you dont and you think you should dont be pressured! Thats all im saying my friend has  a double-bass-pedal and i dont want one.

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
patafla
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »

There are so many ways to play the drums. Just go at your own pace and the world is full of fantastic single kick drummers that you can study. You dont have to play double bass but it is a lot of fun though. Smiley
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

I'm just wondering if you go a store (guitar center) can you ask them to not include the single pedal that comes with the drum set and replace it with a double pedal so that you could deduct the cost of the single pedal from the total?
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 10:49:12 PM »

well, my guess is....

if you take away the single pedal and replace it with a double pedal, you won't be deducting anything.
If anything you would probably have to pay more.

like with any drum equipment, do the research first, check reviews, do test drives, then work the price game back and forth between GC, Sam Ash, and whoever else is around that sells it

Smiley

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »

guitat center will pay the different if you find it cheaper.

you can trade in the pedal and for money and buy the bass pedal.
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 03:07:30 AM »

I won't find a double pedal cheaper than the single pedal I'm supposed to get. The single pedal that comes with the set which I don't want is $59.99 (Tama Iron Cobra). The double pedal I want is $169.99 (Pearl). So I can just give them the single pedal and say I don't want it, here's $110 to finance the Pearl double pedal?
I'm sorry if I totally diverted this thread from its original purpose Embarrassed
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 09:29:58 AM »

You could do that if you were really pushed for cash. I personally try to keep any extra pedals i have. Im always glad ive got them if my other pedal breaks, or i decide to add anouther sound via a pedal on my kit (eg a cowbell pedal).
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 02:42:24 PM »

i'm not that pushed for cash, just always thinking conservative. i'll keep it and if i find out i dont have any use for it, i'll sell it then. thanks for the help. So anyway you can get back to your topic now lol.
pearce_dan49

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »

no of course not (lyk every1 else sed!)

however, i jus recently got 1 and its soooooooooo much fun, i reli do feel alot beta but i have been playin for a while, so im quite confident neway, i am over using it still but il stop sooo n den ill jus whip out da slick beats 4 a special time! im not a fan of heavy metal, u dont have 2 b, tony royster isnt a heavy metal drummer and he is soooooo gd wid a double pedal, i do reccomend highly!

peace out xx
njwoods

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »

learning the "toe/ heel" techinique can give you a double pedal sound.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »

No, it's not a must......it's just one of the many choices you have to create your own unique drum set-up.

Like so many other "extra" things, drummers may add to a basic set-up, double bass drums/double beater bass drum pedals allow you additional sound possibilites.  It's not something everyone wants or needs.  But neither is a second snare drum; a remote hi-hat, an array of splash cymbals, a gong bass drum; even a cowbell or windchimes.  Use the things you want and do your own thing!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 12:53:50 AM »

Hi,

The drummers who use double-bass pedals mostly are heavy metal and fusion drummers.  If you aren't playing those kinds of music, then I wouldn't think it would be needed.

There are some excellent heavy metal players that don't use double-bass.  For example, Nicko McBrain in Iron Maiden and Vinny Appice (listen to early Dio).  And I think it would be safe to say that almost all blues, county and western, soul, rock n roll, and most jazz drummers only use one pedal. There are exceptions.  For example, Ginger Baker, Loiue Bellson, and Carmine Appice are a few of the drummers out there that I don't think would be considered heavy metal or fusion drummers, and they use double-bass.

Buddy Rich, Tony Williams, Art Blakey, Ringo Starr, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Gene Krupa, and countless others only used or use one bass drum, and they all did ok.

Don
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »

Good post, Cathage.

Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, and Virgil Donati are some more exceptions.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Goat-man

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »

Zach Hill is my favorite example speed playing with one pedal.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: