Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Uh Oh.... - Drum Solo Artist

August 15, 2018, 06:23:51 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Uh Oh....  (Read 4815 times)
vicfirth

vicfirth

View Forum Profile
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

I learned a good lesson the other day......me and my brother were jamin and I noticed that my bass pedal wasnt coming back up. Huh Come to fird out the pedal head busted through the bass head. Shocked Now I have to go get another bass head...I think Im going to get the Evans EMAD drumhead, Ive heard alot of good things about them. Its more money that Im going to have to spend but It will be worth it.

Lesson learned: Play with pedal pads...it really helps

Class of 2011
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:28:19 PM »

Long ago, longer than I care to admit, the same thing happened to me...in the middle of a gig.  At first I thought I had busted my peddle...that would have really sucked.  Naturally(?) I was not prepared for this incident because I did not have a spare bass head.  So I switched front and back as quickly as possible, cut the flappers off around the hole to eliminate the flapping buzzing noises,  and finished the gig without additional incident.  That was also my introduction to  a front vented base drum head, and have always used one sense.  But now I always have a spare head for all my drums.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »

I used to use large wooden beaters (for the sake of volume and cut) and found I went through bass drum batter heads quickly.  With the advent of better microphones, mixers, speakers, and equalizers; I have switched back to felt beaters.

Now, I personally prefer the deeper tone the felt beaters produce anyway.  I don't need the sharp attack sound of the hard material beaters for my work or have any concerns about volume levels anymore.  But, everyone has a "feel" that works best for them.....including bass drum beaters.....and I am cool with that. 

So the kind of bass drum beaters used is a personal choice, like some many drum set options tend to be.  Anyway, if you do like sound and attack  of he the hard materal bass drum beaters, know that it really is much easier to break a bass drum head with them.  Tomm's comment about having spare heads is ceretainly a wise tip!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:36:57 PM »

Personally I am the one who adores the sharp attack! Grin and by sharp I mean as sharp as it gets! Grin - but loving that made me experiment with heads and beaters quite a lot before I found my perfect solution!

The way I have it setup is: I am using the events EQ2/EQ3 front bass drum heads and Rhythm Teach pedal beaters with plastic side of them hitting the bass drum skin ( http://www.drumza.com/category/Drum-Pedal-Beaters/Rhythm-Tech/ )...

Now as the protection AND to sharpen the sound even more  Grin I have a couple drum skin pads applied one on top of the other:

the first one is the Remo Flam Slams ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--REMKS0004PH ) - applied directly to the skins hitting area

and the second is the Danmar Round Metal Kick ( http://www.drumza.com/category/Drum-Accessories/Danmar/ ) applied over the Remo Flam Slams Cheesy - Seriously! - I am not kidding here!!!
http://www.drumsoloartist.com/cgi-bin/DSAalbum.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Drums_Pics_From_2003&img=3&tn=1

Now with that intact, I can play for years, hitting as hard as I can (and I can hit hard Wink) and I never had a skin broke on me even once! Never!!! - My bass drum skins are never bent-in or anything like that , they are always perfect!

I only change the skins once every 2 to 3 years just as a courtesy  Cool

Cheers!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »

PASHA,

Great tips!   Wink

Like I said.....everyone has to find a sound and feel that "just does it" for them!  Smiley

I don't realy have a timeframe of replacing the beater impact pads on my kicks.  I just know that when they start to wear through a bit and feel kind of mushy that they've "had it", so I carry some extras in my repairs kit box just in case.  Cheesy

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: