Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Stick Patterns - Drum Solo Artist

November 18, 2019, 12:58:04 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 
Author Topic: Stick Patterns  (Read 64551 times)
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »

Hi,

If you want to understand all of these stickings and learn how to play them then these are the books to get.  They have all the stickings and patterns you'll be able to handle plus advice on how to use them.  These books and others are listed in the drum library here at DSA.   

1. Stick Control by George L. Stone
       2. Syncopation by Ted Reed
       3. Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin
       4. Accents and Rebounds by George L. Stone
       5. Master Studies by Joe Morello
       6. Accents on Accents by Elliot Fine and Marvin Dahlgren 

The essentials of what are actually needed to play on a drum set can be found in these books.  If you can't read drum music and you seriously want to be a drummer, then learn how to read.  It's not hard.  If you can play half the material in these books, you would be one bad mother.

The 26 original rudiments are good to know, but they aren't all necessary to play rock, jazz, blues, etc.  They are more used in marching bands, drum and bugle corps, and especially in bagpipe corps and similar types of old marching corps.

That kind of drumming is not used in rock n' roll.  But, the more you can play, the more you can play.  It's sort of like learning algerbra in high school.  You're never going to use it.

You can mix all the patterns in these books up by substituting you feet for your hands and whatnot.  You're only limited by your creative ability.  So, if you get the books (especially Stick Control) and practice diligently you can become very good at playing stickings. 

Don

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »

Great references Don.  Work on my single and double stroke rolls is how I begin each practice session. 

I learned all of the rudiments playing drumline and concert band in school, and that is (as you suggest) a style of playing different from jazz, blues, and rock.

In my opinion, anything you read and study helps to develop control, although I rarely use many of the rudiments themselves in commerial playing these days.

It was the Jim Chapin book that actually exposed me to patterns to base my jazz/big band fills on.  Once you understand the material you learn from studying that book, you can let your own imagination expand it the rest of your life.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Jump to: