Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Confused With Cymbals... - Drum Solo Artist

November 22, 2019, 10:11:15 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Confused With Cymbals...  (Read 6185 times)
Ru1ner

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: June 28, 2006, 12:20:48 AM »

Well... namely the high-hat, but the others as well. I've had my drum set for a few years now. I started playing again back in October of 05', and I've now been playing for nearly a year straight. I've never really had too much of a problem with the positions of the cymbals, but more recently purchased some of the ones I didn't have. I now have a high-hat, crash, ride, splash, and china... But I'm kind of lost as to their positions. I'm not sure if there is an expected position they're supposed to be in, they seem to vary from set to set. So I just put mine the way I've seen most drum sets. And more recently, my friend discovered that most bands (such as in concert videos) have their high-hat about 6 or more inches higher than their snare. This completely surpised and annoyed me, because I've been playing with the high-hat only about 2 inches from the snare. The thought of playing with the high-hat that high up makes me think I might not be able to play as well... I've gotten uses to playing with it the way I had it. So does it really matter? Not just for the high-hat, but for the rest of the cymbals (as far as their height, and their lean towards you) what the position is? Is there a set and expected way for them to be? Or is it just how ever you feel comfortable playing? I generally play with most of the cymbals pretty low. None of them any lower than the toms, with the exception of the high-hat and the ride. That's another thing, I've seen rides proped way up, but I've also seen rides set down low towards the floor tom... I just don't see why some sets have the cymbals set so high up, especially the high-hat...

So what say you? Thanks all.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:44:33 AM »

Positions of anything on your kit is compleatly suited to whats best for you.

But, they should be positions that allows you to get as many sounds as possible from the cymbal.
For example, you dont want the ride the same height as a tom because that would make it very hard to get the angle to hit the edge of the ride with the body of the stick.

I would imagine you having the hi hat as low as that would make it hard to hit the edge of the cymbals for the "trashier" sound.

Also put them places that makes it the shortest distance to get to if your finishing something. Most people put thier ride on the opposite end of their kit to the hi hat (behind the floor tom) because its quite easy to go there with their [highlight]right[/highlight] hand after hitting a crash. But i have tryed putting the ride under my hihat...just because i wondered what it would be like.

As for your china....just put it anywhere. ive seen most people put it near thier ride, but people like John Blackwell and Phats Domino put it very high (nearly 6 foot) and puts it right behind him so he has to swing his hand over the back of his sholder to hit it (its not cos he find it comfortable, its cos it looks good when he's smaking it in the middle of a fill).

So yea....anywhere you like.
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »

Most people put thier ride on the opposite end of their kit to the hi hat (behind the floor tom) because its quite easy to go there with their left hand after hitting a crash.

You Play your ride with your left hand??? Shocked Shocked

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »

Most people put thier ride on the opposite end of their kit to the hi hat (behind the floor tom) because its quite easy to go there with their left hand after hitting a crash.

You Play your ride with your left hand??? Shocked Shocked

oh...oops...cheers for that correction!
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: