Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Keith Moon - Drum Technieks (spelled it wrong) - Drum Solo Artist

November 17, 2019, 07:30:53 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Keith Moon - Drum Technieks (spelled it wrong)  (Read 31316 times)
tothemoon

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: May 08, 2006, 06:30:31 PM »

Does anyone know if Keith used some sort of techniek(TYPO)?
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 02:09:20 AM »

What exactly do you mean? Shocked
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:43:08 AM »

Im not completely sure what you mean. I would explain, but i dont see Moon like a normal drummer (he was far from normal)

I dont play along to any song by the who because im not sure about what he does. I love how he plays, but never like to copy it. I belive the only person who can play like Moon is Moon himself.

It cant/shouldnt be copyed.

But thats what i think. You can go ahead and try if you like. I find it hard to describe his style... so ill leave it to someone else to help if thats what your asking for.
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »

I think this says it all, it is from a Keith Moon web page. 

"Moon is known for innovative, dramatic drumming, often eschewing basic back beats for a fluid, busy technique focused on fast, cascading rolls across the toms and cymbal crashes. Moon was one of the first to play drums as a lead instrument in an era when drums were supposed only to keep the back beat. He is regarded as one of the greatest and most distinctive rock drummers."

I like The Who and Keith's style was his own.  To replicate Keith's playing one would have to be Keith.  Kenny Jones who played for The Who after Keith's death could not match how Keith played. 

All and all, a drummer needs to be his/her own behind the kit.  The Drummer though not at the front of the stage, is the center of the stage.  The Drummer can often be the life of a gig if the lead singer is having troubles.  I am not saying the Drummer is the band, but it is hard to have a band without a drummer or drum machine Smiley

Goat-man

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »

Obviously there was one and only one Keith Moon. I'm not saying I have complete knowledge of the way he played, but these are a few things that made Keith... well... Keith.
1) He used lots of tom-tom fills
2) He almost never used Hi-Hats
3) He led with his right foot when using one bass drum, but led with his left foot when using two bass drums.
If you want to see a great performance by them look for the live video "Live at the Isle of Wright Festival 1970" They show it on VH1 classic sometimes or just look it up online.
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »

I did not know he did not use his hats so much, but now that you mention it and after reviewing some vids, you are spot on.  keith rarely touches them.

lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »

I can confirm he very rarely used hats. Also he said himself that he rarely played backbeats, he played riffs.
His early work on there 60s singles is inspiring. He is so up with his playing you can not imagine the songs without his playing.
He must be the ultimate feel player (not sure if thats the right word) he was not the best timekeeper but had a great sense of where the pulse of the song was.
His use of stop start fills always makes me smile.

RIP Kieth.
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »

Yes, agree Keith was a very dynamic player, sure would be neat to see how he would play if he were with us today.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »

I really disagee with you that Keith Moon rarely used hi hats or backbeats.  He recorded lots of music with the Who and what he chose to play actually depended upon the song and what Moon and the producer thought it needed.

Now part of the Who sound was to feature "over the top' drumming on certain songs, but so many of the Who's recordings reveal typical use of hi hats and back beats.

Here is a recording/video of the drum part to one of the Who's most instantly recognizable songs.  It has very essential use of the hi hats and a back beat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/moNGqf6iSME&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/moNGqf6iSME&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »

Yea Ken, on that track, well spotted, but personally I would not call that the classic Who sound.

I grew up with the Who in the 60s and Moons drumming is summed up, to me at least, by Cant Explain, My Generation, Happy Jack, I'm A Boy etc and also his live performances.
I was really talking about what defines him to me as a drummer not his complete body of work.

Cheers
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:19:59 AM »

In my opinion the Who's sound (as well as Keith Moon's drumming) evolved from a punk/mod beginning...... to their later heavier rock style over a period of years. We all know that in the early years they would smash up their equipment at the conclusion of their show, which of course, got them noticed and established a media reputation of rowdiness.

However, as their actual music began to get more stylistic and interesting, smashing equipment became less of a element in their show. Peter Townsend developed his windmill power chord poses and the famous leaps with his legs pulled up.  Keith Moon added a second bass drum and then started adding more and more tom toms.....finally even some clear drums with goldfish inside them. As the second bass drum and more toms were added, he began to place more repeating sixteenth note patterns into the structure of many of the band's songs.

The tunes listed below are some of their biggest hits, at least in my opinion.  Listening to these tunes I comprehend a steady evolution of more unique musicianship and clever writing. 

Who Are You (1978)
Love, Reign O'er Me (1973)
The Real Me (1973)
Won't Get Fooled Again (1971)
Behind Blue Eyes (1971)
Baba O'Reilly (1971)
Love Ain't For Keeping (1971)
Summertime Blues (1970)
We're Not Going To Take It (1969)
Pinball Wizard (1969)
I Can See For Miles (1967)
Pictures of Lily (1967)
The Kids Are Alright (1965)
Happy Jack (1965)
My Generation (1965)

As far as what defined Keith Moon as a live performance drummer.....perhaps it was his ability to make the audience notice him as much as they did the singer or the guitarist.

I believe the tunes where he was loud and busy; are what he is more often remembered for but there are also many Who hits where he didn't do that, i.e Squeezebox and Magic Bus.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »

I'll make another personal observation about Keith Moon's drumming.  He was allowed to play what he wanted to; what he felt; as an essential part of the Who.  Part of the whole Keith Moon personna that evolved was to be different....unique....over the top.....break the rules.  Had Keith Moon drummed with the some of the other British bands of that era; that, most likely, would not have been allowed. 

Creating music and performing music are expressive arts. Making money from music is a business endeavor......seeking to market products that will sell lots of units.

In my opinion, the world is fortunate that the later producers of the Who made the decision to focus on  the unique aspects of the Who, instead of marketing them as another "cookie cutter" pop/rock band.  Whereas, the "cookie cutter" bands had a few hits and then faded away; the Who maintain a memorable place in modern music as innovators.  They are distinctive among a few acts that kicked rock music to a completely new level of entertainment, and Keith Moon was an essential element in their success.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
JKL1970

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »

I'm watching that video, and noticing the hi-hat placement, immediately thought "I had no idea Keith Moon was a lefty."

He's not.

Whatever's going on in that video doesn't really appear to be what is actually being played, but nevertheless, it just seems like the hi-hat is placed wherever he could find a place for it.  I can't imaginie it got a whole lot of use if that's really where he normally kept it.
lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »

Ken. Kieth Moon was Kieth Moon, end of story, his personality and his drumming were inseparable.
He would have played the same whatever band he was in, the Who (high numbers) were just lucky the happened on each other as  he was the final piece of the jigsaw.
You cant imagine the Who's music without Moons drumming.
The first time Kieth ever played a kit is documented in the biography Dear Boy. All he did was hit any and every drum as hard and as fast as he could and his mate who was there at the time thought, this guy will never play the drums.
He had a very personal take on drumming and a listen to the album Who Live at Leeds shows his style to perfection.
No, Moon would not have modified his style to suit anyone. What destroyed him was the fact his beloved Who were touring less and less and he was only truly alive when recording or touring with HIS band.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »

Keith Moon certainly had a unique style and he deserves all of considerable recognition he continues to receive for his accomplishments.  He like Buddy Rich, John Bonham, and Jeff Pocarro, etc.; left a legacy that continues to capture our interest, and that will probably endure for a very long time.

The Keith Moon legacy also continues to have a devoted following of fans, both young and old.  In my years of professional drumming, I have concluded that drummers need to form their own opinions about Moon's performances, and that they should discern it's relavancy to their own performance situations today.

There is an even more unique number of Keith Moon fans who have extensively studied what has been written, or otherwise documented, about Keith Moon the person. For many of them, it is a geniune personal passion.

I am actually not a drummer who has done that kind of research.  Therefore, I am absolutely not qualified to do convince anyone about what Keith Moon may have thought, or what he may have felt, or what he might have done in a specified set of circumstances. I can only speculate and wonder. You and  I can read what others have written, but it comes down to digesting the stories and then forming our own consclusions.

For those of who are extensive Keith Moon researchers, I read your comments with great interest.  I, too,  believe Keith Moon was a facinating person and musician.  For those of you that have studied him to the extent that you have an even deeper working knowledge of his personality and philosphies; I truly commend you for your diligence.  The music and the legend live on.  Someone should make a movie. Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »

Hi Ken,
No, I am not a Kieth Moon nerd, I read his biography recently thats all. It made me re visit there early stuff and I was really lifted and motivated listening to Moon the loon playing.
A true one off, and all the better for that I think.

Cheers

Grin
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing Lucas.  I enjoyed all of your comments and insights about Keith Moon.   

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 08:37:38 AM »

Cheers Ken.

Sadly I'm just showing my age.

I have to say your latest tips on tuning are excellent. I got back into drumming about 6 months ago after a 26 year break and I find that  tensioning the heads a little more allows the stick to bounce and takes a lot of effort out of playing the same things, or allows much more flexibility in the sticking.

Smiley

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »

Well, showing our age is a status we eventually earn and younger folks either give us a courtesy listen or simply indulge us a wee bit....perhaps both.   Cheesy

I know you are sort of new to DSA, but I am quite sure that the readers would enjoy more dialog with you regarding new posts and topics, as well as, your spin on some of the older posts...such as the tuning post you have referenced.

Rock on.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »

I agree, please share more.

lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »

Cheers guys, nice to be made welcome. The legendary American hand of friendship is alive and kicking.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: