Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

cramping - Drum Solo Artist

April 13, 2021, 12:56:51 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: cramping  (Read 8666 times)
plan9

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:48:25 AM »

I have struggled with this for YEARS! I play mostly fast punk, heavy hitter, but at times after a few minutes, my right arm(i'm right handed) starts to completeley stiffen up making it nearly impossible to keep the tempo up. I cant figure out if it's my set up, posture, velocity, or conditioning... If anyone out there can help me, I'd be forever greatful.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

Hey,

I dont know about you, but i often get cramp when im tierd, and i put my muscles in a certain position.

I say try 3 things:
Move your kit around so that cymbals are closer/easyer reach.
The positions you have right now could feel comfortable, but your muscles may think differnently, and it could be those positions where you are most prone to getting cramp.
Excercise before you start drumming
Drumming can be like a sport. It is quite a physical thing to do, and like anything that puts strain on your body, you need to get your body prepared for it before you start. This can be from waving your arms in circles, jogging, or just slowing doing rudiments and then gaining speed.
Drink more
Apart from having low levels of salt, low water levels cause cramp. So just make sure you drink.

Enjoy Smiley
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:15:44 PM »

I agree with smelly granny with all those things but theres one more thing:

Make sure your holding your drumsticks correctly. The correct way to hold your drumstick is to pinch your stick with your thumb and second finger and cradle the stick with the other fingers in order to let the drumstick move freely. You can cramp by squeezing the stick with all your fingers and manuevering the stick with your rist.
-Robbie

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:34:16 PM »

More on "Drum Stick Holding" can be found in the Matched Grip article at the Drum Wiki

Just letting you know.
plan9

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:04:42 PM »

AHHHRIGHTT!!! THANKS ALOT FOR THE TIPS. IT WAS THE GRIP!! I FOUND I WAS STRANGLING MY RIGHT STICK ONCE I REALLY GOT MOVING, AND WITHIN 20-30 SECONDS I WAS CRAMPED. I WAS TOTALLY UNAWARE OF SUCH A SIMPLE THING!  THANKS AGAIN.  JEFF
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 01:43:23 AM »

If anyone out there can help me, I'd be forever greatful.

Well now you HAVE to be FOREVER GRATEFUL - just as you promised! Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: