Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Your Bass Drum set up - Drum Solo Artist

July 05, 2020, 05:43:31 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Your Bass Drum set up  (Read 8844 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »

I thought it would be interesting to share some particulars about how you like to set up your bass drum(s). What kind of bass drum do you use?  What heads do you use?  What muffling devices do you use?  What tensions do you use?  Do you port the front head?  Do you use a particular microphone?

I will kick off the thread with the bass drum set-ups that I use most lately:

Bass Drum for large venue work
16 x 20  Yamaha Recording Custom Bass Drum
Batter head Aquarian Super Kick I.  Tuned low, about half a turn from wrinkle point.
Front head Aquarian Full Force with Kickport.  Tuned low about one turn before wrinkle point.
Microphone:  Heil PR40, mounted inside on Kelly Shu

Bass Drum for Big Band Work
16 x 22 Yamaha Absolute Maple Bass Drum
Batter head Aquarian Super Kick I. Tuned low about one turn before wrinkle point.
Front head Aquarian Full Force, not ported with felt strip.  Tuned medium low about one and half turns before the wrinkle point.
Microphone:  Heil PR30, external on floor stand

Bass Drum for acoustic jazz work
16 x 16 Yamaha Manu Katche Hip Gig Bass Drum
Batter Head Aquarian Response II coated with felt strip.  Slightly less than medium tension.
Front Head Yamaha Logo Factory Head, not ported with felt strip. Slightly more than medium tension.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:18:54 AM »

No one has any tricks or suggestions about bass drum set-ups? 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Ian_Borg

Ian_Borg

Ian Borg in 5 minutes

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »

Hi

I play a 22" Tama bass drum. Right now I'm using a Remo Powerstroke Pro batter head. I DO NOT LIKE IT. I much prefer the Powerstroke 3 - I believe the sound is much warmer and musical, if you can call a bass drum thump musical...
I use a double Remo Falam-slam patch where the beaters strike the head.
The bass pedal is a Drum Workshop 5000 series double pedal. I use the stock beaters, plastic side to the head.
The front head is a simple black ambassador with a TAMA logo and a 4" port.
I tune the batter head for a nice short low frequency sustain and the front head a bit tighter. Then I adjust the damping depending on conditions.
I use an AGK D-112 microphone in the port. I'm designing an internal mounting system because they're simple to do, and the commercially available ones are way too expensive for what they are. I think it will be a big improvement over having the mic in the port mouth.

To damp the drum, I put a quantity of loose fill polyester stuffing in the drum. This is the same thing that you'd use to stuff pillows with. It's like having a pillow in there, without the cover of the pillow. The beauty of it is that it totally conforms to the inside of the drum including the heads, and its tuneable.
To get the damping right, you reach through the port and put in or take out as much as you need to get the right sound, It gives me a quick, simple way to tune for different sized rooms, types of music, miced vs. no mic, etc. As far as I know, I'm the only one using this method.
The polyester fill doesn't blow out of the drum, and it always settles perfectly after you have relocated your kit. It's like loose-fill damping in a speaker cabinet, in a way.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
oneolddrummer

oneolddrummer

Cancer Sucks!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »

I have a 14x22 Gretsch Round Badge bass drum.  I use Fiber skin heads, both sides, no port, resonate head slightly higher than batter, I use the remo muffler.  I have the drum tuned so it works and sounds right when [played with the 16x 16 and 20x20 floor toms.  I am using a CAD mic, (remember I don't do this for a living!  LOL!)  My drum instructor (very good drummer, atomic fireballs) likes the tune on my drums.  Has only taken me 4 years to get them tuned to where I am happy with them, at least for now!  LOL!  Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Cancer Sucks!
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: