Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Hello, anyone here? - Drum Solo Artist

March 04, 2021, 11:16:55 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Hello, anyone here?  (Read 16496 times)
oneolddrummer

oneolddrummer

Cancer Sucks!

View Forum Profile
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:09 PM »

I have been looking at the forums, then started looking post dates.  Most of the latest ones are not even from this year!  Is anyone here?  I tried to send a message to a moderator to ask about participation here, but I can't yet because I do not have enough points or what ever yet.  So anyone here?  This looked like it could be a cool place, but if new posts are are months old, then maybe not so much?
tom

Cancer Sucks!
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »

Seems odd, the leads are normally here.  Give it a day I'm sure someone will get you set.  There is a ton of info here and I'm sure you will not find content like this anywhere else. 

Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »

Hi,

I'm still here.  Ready with my varied responses to anything anyone wants to talk about. 

Like -

1.        If I leave my new drum set out in the rain for two years, will it still be considered new?

Answer:  Maybe.

2.        If I buy a set to impress girls, should I get a Tama or a Yamaha?  And would it be still ok do you think to impress girls with a set with only 32 drums.

Answer:  There is a mathematical relationship discovered by Sticks Snerby that states simply the more drums you have the more girls you will be able to get.   The math is tricky, but it works.  Yamaha heads or easier to change, so I would go with the Yamaha if you like to keep things simple.

3.       Is there a special stick twirling school somewhere where I can learn how to twirl the sticks so I can impress girls.  I don't actually have to learn how to play the drums so much, but I have noticed that stick twirling really impresses people, and I am more concerned with impressing people that actually playing good music.

Answer:  I don't know.  Maybe you could try dating a majorette in the high scholl band.  You know, the ones that  flip those batons around.  They probably would make great drummers since that are really impressive marching around twirling those batons. 

The problem is since you can't already twirl your sticks, it would be practically impossible for you to approach one of them and ask them because they wouldn't have already have been able to see how cool you are twirling your sticks.  Sort of a Catch 22.  You could always opt for actually practicing to become a real drummer and impress maybe people older than 20 years old.  That is a little bigger challenge since you would actually have to be able to play the drums.
(meaning be able to play jazz, fusion, rock, heavy metal, soul, county western, latin, etc. all with equal proficiency.  Then, you would be a "drummer".

4.        How can I play with lady gaga?

Answer:  Get a lobotomy.

I hope these standard questions have been answered to everyone's satisfaction.  I'm indebted to Sticks Snerby for his input.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »

I have been ill for a while, but I am back in the swing of things now. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:14:22 AM »

Hi Ken,

Glad you're back.  Missed your comments.  DSA needs them.

Don
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »

Thanks and good to hear from you Don. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
oneolddrummer

oneolddrummer

Cancer Sucks!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »

Ken, sorry you were ill, and glad you are back.  I was out for a bit with health issues myself, stage 4 cancer.  But I am cancer free now!  In fact, cancer played a BIG roll in my drumming.  I played as a kid, was not very good, but could sit in and play a groove and keep time.  Then life got in the way and at about age 25 I stopped playing.  Then a few years ago I got frustrated at work (no longer at that job), and needed something creative in my life, so I broke out the vintage Gretsch round badge kit.  Then I got hit with the cancer dx, and figured I should get serious.  I also wanted to do something bigger than myself, so I planned a fund raiser.  Things went as planned with the cancer, got a full remission (it is concidered incurable, so we were confident that it would go in remission, now we look for it to come back), and the fund raiser went well too.  I had a band and played drums in the band.  the band has stuck together since the fundraiser.  Very happy about that.  We play jazz.  And the band name, yeah, happy about that too, it is "Dancing with Ned"  Ned is an acronym for No Evidence of Disease, so dancing with ned means cancer free!
Anyway, hope to be able to spend some time here.  REALLY need to work on phrasing for solos.  I am getting better, and still have a LONG way to go, but so long as I am moving I am happy.  I do kinow that I need to practice more and play less!
Thanks all,
Tom

Cancer Sucks!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »

Tom,

Man thanks for sharing your story.  Wonderful that you are cancer free now and also that you are performing in "Dancing With Ned".

Please write us about whatever you want to share or discuss. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
oneolddrummer

oneolddrummer

Cancer Sucks!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

Thanks Ken, I hope your health issues are behind you.  Must say, really puts things in perspective!  I am developing as a drummer.  My grooves are more solid, and fills are coming easier, and sounding more fluid.  I still need to develope more phrasing for solos.  Yeah, right now 4 beats is about it for solos for me.  I have seen a lot of stuff on youtube that is helpful.  I am also trying to hear accents only.  I figure, if you can play the accent figure, and then fill the rest with ghost notes, that is one way to do things.  I am also trying to concentrate on playing fewer notes, something not often thought of by drummers!
God Bless
Tom

Cancer Sucks!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:09:50 PM »

I am sure that your stamina and your ability to play the fills you hear in your head will come together with time.  Recovering from any illness is a challenge and we all have to approach progress at our own pace.

The wealth of materials available today for both drum study and drum exercises is amazing.  With a little time invested in searching for the specific aides you need, I am confident that it will pay off big time.

Cheers from Nashville.
KEN

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
oneolddrummer

oneolddrummer

Cancer Sucks!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »

Could not agree more.  The tools and info available now are amazing compared to when I was a kid.  When I get a few bucks ahead, I plan on buying a "beatnik"  In case you are unfamiliar with it, it is a practice pad that will measure your speed and accuracey.  You can program in different beats and find out if your strokes are really falling on the first and third triplet, or if you are accenting that 4th 1/16 note, etc. 
the internet has been a great help too.  I have had only a very few in person lessons in my life time, maybe 6 total.  Mostly to learn technique, how to hold the sticks, how to make a stroke, etc.  Those things are hard to learn from watching a video, really best to have a person there to help you with finger control, etc.  Different licks, grooves etc, you can learn from chart or video, or listening, finger control, proper stroke, etc, not so easy to learn that way.
Hope you are doing well and feeling well.  I am digging being cancer free, see the Dr Monday to talk about how often we look for this stuff to come back, and what to do when it does.  Still, average remission with this treatment is 6.6 years, so that is pretty good!
God Bless
Tom

Cancer Sucks!
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: