Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Danny Seraphine's book "Street Player" - Drum Solo Artist

July 05, 2020, 05:37:42 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Danny Seraphine's book "Street Player"  (Read 15381 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:22:34 PM »

Danny was here in Nashville and I was proud to get an autographed copy of his new book.  He rocked at the clinic he did for Fork's Drum Closet here in Nashville on Tueday evening.  This man absolutely oozes cool.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading his book and will be back later with comments about it.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »

Well, I finished the book and it is an interesting look into Danny Seraphine's career as a professional drummer.  Without spoiling the story for those who do want to read the book, he does discuss (obviously) his experiences playing with Chicago in depth.  In addition to holding down the drum chair, it seems that Danny took care of much of the essential business for the band.  The band had a continuing battle to make come-back after come-back in the ever evolving music business.  Although Chicago continued to have recordings that charted, the members each  had numerous personal problems that impacted the band's ability to stay afloat over the years.  Danny was responsioble for many of the efforts to keep the band viable, including convincing the other members to hire certain replacement members and in selecting material for new recordings. The point being that there is much more to having a successful band than just performing the music.

The book gives lots of details about the circumstances that led to Danny's departure.  I believe that he felt totally betrayed by the very people he went to bat for time after time.  It seems that people he pulled out of dispair time after time, did not want to extend him help when he was down.  So, that part is a sad story to read and perhaps a sad look at some of the grittier aspects of the music business.

However, there is also the story of his recovery from those situations and his current success as a drummer, writer, producer, husband and father.  I recommend the book highly.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »

My son, Jason, gifted me the double DVD set of Danny's Jazz Rock Drumming, it is definately a good find in education.  Now I'll be out to get his book because he is definately an interesting character.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »

What I enjoyed most about the book was that Danny was honest about his own faults and took the blame for things he caused.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:47:20 AM »

More interesting reading.

http://bradenbost.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/seven-myths-about-the-band-chicago/

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN